Thread: Worst turkey season EVER!!

Default Worst turkey season EVER!!

I can't get over how tight lipped the birds are!!!! I read one of the other threads talking about not hearing any or many gobbles. Same here. I went to all my old haunts, and nothing.... can't buy a gobble. I keep thinking of an old guy that told me years ago " You gotta have at least three days in a row with 70 plus degree, sunny days to get the toms wound up". Truthfully I always took that with a grain of salt, but maybe he was on to something. The weather here has absolutely sucked. One day it's 60 with over cast, the next it's a high of 43 and 15-20 mph winds. This weekend was the first time we've had any back to back 70 plus degree days.

I think another factor with lack of gobbling is there's no food what so ever in the woods. Therefore most of the birds are in the fields and are just constantly molested day after day. I'm sure they've been shot at and missed too. I could try to camp out on a field edge and wait, but personally..... I can't just sit on a field edge and wait to shoot a bird that won't gobble. That's not what turned me onto turkey hunting. Killing one just isn't that high on my priority list to go through the boredom of sitting there.

Congrats to those that shot a turkey this season. You earned it!!! Tough year for sure.
    "The rich who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, these are the real enemies of the game" Theodore Roosevelt's the principals of the hunt.

Sounds like you still think there are birds around though. Here the problem is no birds, not tight lipped.

I don’t buy a turkey tag anymore. I haven’t seen or heard any turkeys in my immediate area but I did see a small flock with a strutting Tom around the 1st of May a few miles down the road. Then here has been a hen, probably with a nest that hangs around a little farm near the same fields. She is always around there so I assume she’s nesting somewhere near. Merrimack county.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Sounds like you still think there are birds around though. Here the problem is no birds, not tight lipped.
    Oh I would see some birds, but they weren't even a bit interested in gobbling. On my way to work Friday I saw 3 big toms and 6 jakes tormenting a group of hens. I slept in on Saturday morning, then headed out thinking those birds would be done courting their hens, and be receptive to a little of my sweet love talk. I pulled up to the field at 7:45 am Saturday, gave a swipe or two on the box call. ONE gobble. He was still on the posted side of the road, and further up from where I was parked. I went to where I thought I'd be parallel from him and called again. One gobble, then nothing. I decided to make a little loop and check for another bird, giving that fella time to cross the road to the non posted side looking for me, then if he gobbled over there I could loop around and call him in. I came back 20 minutes later, called and Not a single gobble. Ok..... so I parked and made a big sweep around the fields coming out In the far back corner of a green field. I called... nothing. I put out a deke, sat down and shut up. I called again 10 minutes later. Nothing still. I repeated that 4 times without a single gobble or seeing a bird. I spend the next 2.5 hours going to every haunt I've known birds to be for the last two decades and couldn't buy a gobble.

I still can't believe it. Sun was out, 70 degrees, no wind...... and still NOTHING. I've talked to a lot of guys saying the same thing. I had 4 jakes hanging around our back field for about two weeks. I would try and roost them almost nightly with either a box call or owl hooting. Never heard a gobble. They'd get here in the morning around 5:45 to 6:30 am and wouldn't gobble to any of my hen calls. I wasn't interested in shooting one of them, but wanted to see if they'd get worked up so I could get my daughter up before school one morning for some turkey hunting. They never showed a bit of interest. Just a strange, strange year. I honestly believe it's a combination of no left over acorns in the woods, weather, and being called and hunted so often.
    "The rich who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, these are the real enemies of the game" Theodore Roosevelt's the principals of the hunt.

Same, I heard no gobbling this year. Even when I was seeing toms, which were mostly in the yards surrounding the spots I know, they were silent. I always seemed to be hunting breezy mornings, which also didn't help.

I'm gonna hate saying this.... but, most of the birds I worked, I gobbled to them. I had 2 toms going crazy when I gobbled to them.... hen called.... nothing. Then one left the setup.
    There comes a time in the life of every program when it is necessary to shoot the engineers.

The only thing I was able to call in this season was a moose. I let it go.

season ended like it started. I knew there were 2 very nice toms within 150 yards of me. They'd gobble a couple times, then nothing.

I don’t think they like your calling…

Quote Originally Posted by Igloo View Post
    The only thing I was able to call in this season was a moose. I let it go.
    Ha ha I guess those things come in to anything! I have grunted quite a few in during deer season.