Thread: Not sure where to go

Default Not sure where to go

So far this is the best group I can get out of my 250 Savage. 1.34 inches at 100 yards I went up in 1/2 grain increments to the listed max of 33.4 grains. Also tried 100 grain bullets (Speer Hot Cor with the same powder) with worse results. This group, to me shows promise, but I'm not sure if it is the powder, bullets, brass, or rifle.

New Remington brass
    CCI 200 Primers
    IMR 4064
    Sierra 120 grain HPBT Gamekings
    COAL-measured to point not Ogive is 2.515. I still have some room in the magazine box to go out so maybe a little different seating depth?
    Each charge was weighted on a beam scale

To be fair, the rifle has never been overly accurate

file-100.jpg
    I've already told you more than I know.

Changing brass or primers shouldn't make much difference at 100 yards. Before changing powder I'd fool around with seating depth. Extend the seating depth in .015"or .020" increments. It should get better or worse. If worse, try decreasing the seating depth a little. Usually Sierra bullets will shoot well seated "long", right out to touching the rifling. If no other loads or factory ammo will best the 33 grain load then it may well be the rifle. I assume you're shooting over a rest. If so try holding on with your front hand placed under the forend with a slight grip if you normally shoot free recoil with no front hand pressure. I assume you give the bore a good scrubbing once in awhile. If you have access to a competent gunsmith a check up might be in order of the bedding, bolt lug contact, crown check for burrs, etc. I'd use this as a last resort and tinker with your load a little more. Also do you see any sort of pattern in your group shapes? Are they all strung up and down, left and right, etc. Sometimes this can indicate a particular problem.
    Last edited by VtPalmaShooter; 05-15-2019 at 10:59 PM.

Thank you.

I'll play around with it.

1.3 " groups aren't terrible.
    Fly and light tackle fishing with Captain Steve Burnett....
    www.fishwatchhill.com

my 250 savage likes the 90 gr Sierra hollow with IMR4895 also shoots the Hornady 117 rn with IMR 4451 well doesnt like Speer bullets at all

Since you are at max load with powder try coming down in 1/10th of a grain increments. Tedious I know, but 1/2 grain increments can be too much. You just might tighten it up at somewhere in between. Believe me it makes a difference. Good luck.

Thanks everyone.

I plan to play around with it. Don't want to introduce too many variables at any one time but I have been looking at the 117 RN. That bullet really interests me.

Our local shops are so limited on powder that it is difficult to try different things. I have Varget and IMR4064 and have been trying to get H4831 and IMR4895. I think those powders will cover the cartridges I want to reload for. The local shop also has a box of the 90 grain Sierra HPBT that I can get for $15.
    It is the only box of bullets they have and I should grab them. A member here also made a very generous offer on a box of Partitions so I will have a few things to try.

I mentioned, this rifle has never shot anything I have tried well but most acceptably. It has always been minute of deer with factory loads. This was my first "deer" rifle and I'd like to be able to use it again.
    Last edited by JDK; 05-17-2019 at 07:49 AM.