Thread: What scale?

Default What scale?

I've never weighed or measured fish. If we keep it to eat, we typically weight it on an old vegetable scale at home. I don't know why, I'm not opposed to it, I guess it just never occurred to me. Anyway, I'm shopping for a fish scale for my kids and have no clue what to get. Amazon shows plenty of them, but they all have a hook on the bottom that only works if you're keeping the fish. I did see one that was one of the lip gripper styles, and it had a built in scale, but it doesn't look very accurate. Just notches in a metal shaft with a spring for tension.

Does anyone have suggestions on inexpensive methods for getting the weight on a fish you're throwing back?

Never weighed a fish in my life so I'd be interested in this too...

I have always used this cheap berkley scale. I use it mostly on bass but the hook doesnt seem to do any damage to the fish.

scale.jpg

https://www.tackledirect.com/bogagri...xoCAp0QAvD_BwE

I use one like this, but it was given to me. they are incredible accurate. they won't hurt the fish, and I figure if I get a brook trout that tips anything over 3 I can "verify" I caught a brookie that was X pounds or bigger.
    "The rich who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, these are the real enemies of the game" Theodore Roosevelt's the principals of the hunt.

2nd the Boga Grip. Expensive but had mine for 20 years in fresh and salt water, still works great. Here it is in action! Makes handling fish so easy. Pike, bluefish, bass, whatever, just clip in on their lip and he is yours, for pictures or whatever.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by longbow; 04-11-2019 at 01:14 PM.

This ones a lot cheaper and has good reviews, but I never used one. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F753ZYY...3-117ccf44e055