Thread: Wood duck boxes

Default Wood duck boxes

About three weeks ago, my brother and I did a Conservation project with his son and daughter and my daughter. We built 6 wood duck boxes. Well, this weekend our schedules aligned and we went out as a family to install them and check and refill shavings into one my daughter had built 10 years ago. My wife took all the pics, my daughter videoed, my nephew helped with tools and my niece played with the dogs while my brother and I installed the boxes and shavings. When we got to the box my daughter had built years ago, there was a clutch of eggs left over from last year. Eight eggs where unhatched intact and one had hatched. We cleaned them out and installed new shavings. The Northern Migration is definitely on. We saw geese, mallards and black ducks, teal, ringers, woodies, hoodies and common mergies. It was a great weekend to be outdoors with the family.
    duckboxes1.jpg
    duckboxes2.jpg
    duckboxes3.jpg
    duckboxes4.jpg
    duckboxes5.jpg
    duckboxes6.jpg
    duckboxes7.jpg

That's a great way to get outside and get rid of some cabin fever!!
    "The rich who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, these are the real enemies of the game" Theodore Roosevelt's the principals of the hunt.

Good job! I'll have to ask my neighbor who owns the beaver pond in front of my place if he would allow me to go out and clean the ones there...

Pay attention to shell thickness of the fragments when cleaning the boxes. Thick shells are hooded merganser while thin shells are wood ducks. After a few checks and paying attention you will be able to quickly tell the difference. You are likely to notice mergansers use the boxes at a higher rate than wood ducks.
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman View Post
    Pay attention to shell thickness of the fragments when cleaning the boxes. Thick shells are hooded merganser while thin shells are wood ducks. After a few checks and paying attention you will be able to quickly tell the difference. You are likely to notice mergansers use the boxes at a higher rate than wood ducks.
    That is very true. Most of the boxes that have been used were by Hoodies.

good job