Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 7600 35 Whelen Carbine Stock Swap

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Got the other stocks today and put everything together. Went together real easy and fit was perfect. A little oil, into gun socks and into the safe they go.

Also, made an unexpected purchase of a 760,308 with a Japanese Tasco 3x9 in very nice condition. Couldn't pass it up. Came with 2 clips and 4 boxes of Corlokts for $250.
    Those are beautiful. I had an absolutely mint 1988 7600 in 35 Whelen. I bought it from the original owner with an 1988 box of 35 whelen Core-Lokts, that had 9 bullets missing. He bought it to hunt Maine, but never went.

I shot 3 bucks with it, but I never clicked with the gun. I sold it and bought a guide gun. I like my guide gun better but boy do I regret selling that Whelen.
    Born to hunt, forced to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Hunter View Post
    Those are beautiful. I had an absolutely mint 1988 7600 in 35 Whelen. I bought it from the original owner with an 1988 box of 35 whelen Core-Lokts, that had 9 bullets missing. He bought it to hunt Maine, but never went.

I shot 3 bucks with it, but I never clicked with the gun. I sold it and bought a guide gun. I like my guide gun better but boy do I regret selling that Whelen.
    Thanks I’m pretty happy with them. I have two of those older ones. One has been my main gun for quite a few years . Yes they have increased in value nicely.

What's your go to round for this gun?

Roger-

Quote Originally Posted by Grandkid View Post
    What's your go to round for this gun?

Roger-
    Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 225 grain. I have also used the Rem Corlokt 200 and 250's. POI is pretty close on all three.

Now that it looks like the Bear claws are no longer. Any thoughts on trying anything else? Even though Im sure you have a stock pile to get through first. I'm trying to decide what to shoot through mine. I was leaning towards the 200gr Barnes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter Buck View Post
    Now that it looks like the Bear claws are no longer. Any thoughts on trying anything else? Even though Im sure you have a stock pile to get through first. I'm trying to decide what to shoot through mine. I was leaning towards the 200gr Barnes.
    I shot the Corelokts and had good success with deer and moose. The Federals and Barnes are a tougher, deeper penetrating bullets. Probably overkill most of the time, but nice to have if shooting tail to nose or shoulder shooting a big moose.
    Last edited by longbow; 03-22-2019 at 12:18 PM.

I’ll be using the Federal trophy bonded for elk. Spin off of the bear claw.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainewoods View Post
    I’ll be using the Federal trophy bonded for elk. Spin off of the bear claw.
    Should be very similar. The whole rear portion of the bullet is solid copper like the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 225 grain. I have also used the Rem Corlokt 200 and 250's. POI is pretty close on all three.
    Thanks for the info. I am stunned that the POI is close with a 50 grain difference in bullet weight. What distance are you talking about here?

Roger-

Quote Originally Posted by Grandkid View Post
    Thanks for the info. I am stunned that the POI is close with a 50 grain difference in bullet weight. What distance are you talking about here?

Roger-
    Didn't shoot past 200 yards. Here is the comparison. http://guide.sportsmansguide.com/bal...s/35whebal.htm