Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: WOW! Vt fish and wildlife New deer hunting regulations proposals.

Other Restrictions
    The fully licensed adult hunter may take afield only one person at a time who holds a mentored hunting license and shall sign and date the mentored hunting license at the time of the hunt.

1 ) " A person holding a mentored hunting license is subject to the bag limit of the fully licensed adult accompanying hunter. When game is taken by a person holding a mentored hunting license, it shall be deemed taken by the fully licensed adult accompanying hunter. "

If I am reading this right under the " Other Restrictions " this says if you take out a mentored hunter duck hunting or partridge and rabbit hunting you are subject to only the bag limit of the adult accompanying hunter. One bag limit split between both hunters

2 ) A person holding a mentored hunting license is subject to the bag limit of the fully licensed adult accompanying hunter. When game is taken by a person holding a mentored hunting license, it shall be deemed taken by the fully licensed adult accompanying hunter.

If part one is correct , then part 2 would mean if you took out a mentored hunter deer hunting , then you are using your tag if the mentored hunter shoots a deer.

yes I believe your reading that correctly. The mentored hunter would be filling your tag. Thats how I understand the mentor program. The proposed novice program or "season" they would have their own license, own tag, and they would be allowed to hunt on youth weekend.

Just logging on for the first time in a while and seeing this. Just curious, the "novice hunt" that mentions being restricted to Vermont residents only, will the regular youth weekend still exist, and will that one still be open to out of state youth? I brought my older boy back to hunt with Grandpa last year, and hope to bring my younger one in another year or 2. It looks like it says it would run concurrently, so I assume that means youth weekend would still exist as is?
    "License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.
    "

yes that was my understanding. They'll just happen at the sametime. I know some people are worried about adults also hunting the sametime as the youth and potentially taking away opportunities for the kids, but the state is questimating 200ish adults a year will participate. So probably not even enough to notice.

A few things not mentioned yet, that came up after the meeting when I had the chance to speak with Nick by myself. I checked into it before the Barre meeting, and surprisingly, our posted land statewide has only increased by 4400 between 2000 and 2018. In the areas that ars are staying in pkace, he says they worked. I say bs.. however, he absolutely agreed with an observation that I made from the beginning. In a great many areas, it isn't that we have more older bucks, but what has changed since 2004. More food plots. To a lesser extent, more posted land. Cell phones with cams. Social media. Trail cameras. Those factors, are as big, or bigger a driving force for the older deer being shot than the management plan. Prior to those factors, most of us shot the first legal deer they could. After these things came into being, and people saw what else was on the landscape, they became more fussy. In his words " I can't drive that enough into people's heads how much of an impact those things have had.."
    Ammonoosuc River Outfitters, Owner.
    Licensed New Hampshire Hunting Guide

Outfitter for
    theextremehunter.com/newhampshire

proud member of the "you can't eat the horn's" hunting club

" a man shouldn't have to work from sept. the first until dec 31"...Frank Patoine, my uncle

Quote Originally Posted by vtbuckrulrss View Post
    A few things not mentioned yet, that came up after the meeting when I had the chance to speak with Nick by myself. I checked into it before the Barre meeting, and surprisingly, our posted land statewide has only increased by 4400 between 2000 and 2018. "
    4400 what? percent? most people that put up posted signs do not register the land as posted with the town or state.

Quote Originally Posted by bootstrap View Post
    4400 what? percent? most people that put up posted signs do not register the land as posted with the town or state.
    I was thinking the same thing. Proper and Legal Posting increased by 4400 acres, but the number of posted signs hung on trees seems to have increased dramatically in the areas I hunt. Not that I'm criticizing it, just an observation.

4400 acres. There is no way to know how many illegal/improperly posted land is also out there
    Ammonoosuc River Outfitters, Owner.
    Licensed New Hampshire Hunting Guide

Outfitter for
    theextremehunter.com/newhampshire

proud member of the "you can't eat the horn's" hunting club

" a man shouldn't have to work from sept. the first until dec 31"...Frank Patoine, my uncle

I'm fine with the changes except for allowing the shooting of spikes. Vermont already seems to not have many mature bucks. I would rather they go the other direction and require 3 points on a side to be a legal buck.

I'm okay with increasing doe harvest if there is good science behind it. I don't see an overpopulation where I hunt but what do I know. Also, people need to use their heads and shoot mature does. Otherwise, a lot of button bucks will be killed.