Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WOW! Vt fish and wildlife New deer hunting regulations proposals.

These seem well thought out and are acceptable. It would have been nice to extend the early doe archery season to zone B. Seeing this has the highest number of doe permits each year and still has had over the counter tags available. Hunter participation in the state is declining and so the fish and game revenue is dropping. I had heard one of the fish hatcheries has to close this year just to keep the fish and game budget from being run at a huge deficit. If they raise license prices or add fees for tags that create more opportunity I am all for it to help pay for our resource. If it helps keep our sport alive and the wildlife managed properly I have no problem paying a little more. Keep in mind there is an optional conservation stamp on your license that I believe is $15.00. I encourage everyone to buy it and help fund WMA projects and acquisition of more WMAís. Much of Vermontís land is private and the more property sportsman can help secure for public access the better. Good luck to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by AMT1379 View Post
    What are your safety concerns?
    overlapping seasons with archery during which hunters dont typically wear orange. i am more against mandatory orange though. but with these new rules that will be what eventually needs to happen

having the novice/youth and antlerless seasons and all the increased scouting that will go with them during archery will spook the deer and reduce opportunity and create friction between groups of hunters at the best hunting time the year. it is also good to have a rest between seasons to let the deer "reset" we all know the best days are usually directly after a period of closed season.

the department is going in the right direction. just too much all at once. the entire results need to be thought through more before such big changes.

Quote Originally Posted by bootstrap View Post
    the entire results need to be thought through more before such big changes.
    These changes started to be inquired about and the herd looked into in 2013, and one can argue the spike horn law (which I believe was implemented in 2001 or 2002) was the start of the "change". How much more time is needed? I can see how to most change is a bit scary and a lot of "what if's" can arise. But if no law changes happen, no change in results occur. SOMETHING needs to happen I guess the million dollar question is what is it? These people are professionals, and are paid decent money to study the overall herd, and if after 6-16 years of studing they say we need to do these changes to create a healthy deer herd with a better buck/doe ratio, better buck breeding stock, older age structure in our buck herd how can we as treestand biologist argue with them?

Quote Originally Posted by bootstrap View Post
    overlapping seasons with archery during which hunters dont typically wear orange. i am more against mandatory orange though. but with these new rules that will be what eventually needs to happen

having the novice/youth and antlerless seasons and all the increased scouting that will go with them during archery will spook the deer and reduce opportunity and create friction between groups of hunters at the best hunting time the year. it is also good to have a rest between seasons to let the deer "reset" we all know the best days are usually directly after a period of closed season.

the department is going in the right direction. just too much all at once. the entire results need to be thought through more before such big changes.
    NH has been overlapping for years. Nobody is getting harmed
    "The rich who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, these are the real enemies of the game" Theodore Roosevelt's the principals of the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Hunter View Post
    NH has been overlapping for years. Nobody is getting harmed
    I think a lot of bowhunters may wear orange in and out of the stand, but then remove it in the stand. I haven't heard of any firearm hunters shooting archery hunters that weren't wearing orange.

At some point I would be interested to know all of the people who worked on and contributed to this proposal. When I first read it...and then re-read it...I actually said "wow!" to myself. They put a tremendous amount of effort into this...I am very impressed with the work they did! This is an important moment for our Vermont hunting heritage.
    To visit VBBC website simply copy and paste the following link into your search; www.vtbiggestbucks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by amclimber View Post
    I think a lot of bowhunters may wear orange in and out of the stand, but then remove it in the stand. I haven't heard of any firearm hunters shooting archery hunters that weren't wearing orange.
    Let's be honest..... how many vermonters do you really see wearing any orange, any season? What's the difference if a guy in green plaid carrying a muzzle loader meets a guy dressed in camo carrying a bow? I can't connect how that's anymore dangerous. Is it because he's carrying a bow?

IMO this shows that VF&W was thinking outside the box, trying to provide every hunting opportunity for every demographic they are supported by. They've thrown something in for every single thing they've heard at the hearings over the years. Vermont hunters should be very proud of their biologist regardless if this passes or not.
    Last edited by NH Hunter; 03-13-2019 at 05:07 AM.
    "The rich who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, these are the real enemies of the game" Theodore Roosevelt's the principals of the hunt.

Let's be honest..... how many vermonters do you really see wearing any orange, any season? What's the difference if a guy in green plaid carrying a muzzle loader comes a guy dressed in camo carrying a bow? I can't connect how that's anymore dangerous. Is it because he's carrying a bow?

IMO this shows that VF&W was thinking outside the box, trying to provide every hunting opportunity for every demographic they are supported by. They've thrown something in for every single thing they've heard at the hearings over the years. Vermont hunters should be very proud of their biologist regardless if this passes or not.
    I wear an orange hat to and fro my stands during archery season. I wear an orange hat and vest during every firearms deer season. I also wear an orange hat while running and gunning to various spots during turkey season and remove it when in place, just saying.... ORANGE IS VISABLE!!!!

Let's be honest..... how many vermonters do you really see wearing any orange, any season? What's the difference if a guy in green plaid carrying a muzzle loader comes a guy dressed in camo carrying a bow? I can't connect how that's anymore dangerous. Is it because he's carrying a bow?

I agree. Two thumbs up.

The VT Fish and Wildlife Board voted last night to move forward on potential changes to Vermont's deer hunting regulations. There will be a series of meetings open to the public to discuss the changes.

I am hopeful that these will be implemented.
    Born to hunt, forced to work.