Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry 45-70

Default Henry 45-70

Found this one down here and the guy was selling it with a Skinner peep sight already mounted and a few boxes of ammo. Never had a rifle with a skinner sight before and I really like how it is quick to the shoulder and same for the sight picture. Might consider putting the bigger loop on the action, see how she does at the range next week
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by silver belly62; 03-01-2019 at 01:26 PM.

Beauty! Congrats

Of course I already saw that on the other place. Very nice.

How is your front sight? Looks like maybe the original brass bead like mine has. I filed mine flat on the top, so I know exactly where I am up and down. I use the top of the sight as point of impact. I might get a Skinner rear for mine also.

I would also like to find a metal butt plate and take that pad off.

Should be interesting to see if you need a higher front sight, many times you do when you go to a peep. It does like like a high front sight though.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Of course I already saw that on the other place. Very nice.

How is your front sight? Looks like maybe the original brass bead like mine has. I filed mine flat on the top, so I know exactly where I am up and down. I use the top of the sight as point of impact. I might get a Skinner rear for mine also.

I would also like to find a metal butt plate and take that pad off.

Should be interesting to see if you need a higher front sight, many times you do when you go to a peep. It does like like a high front sight though.
    Believe the front sight is original that came with it. Why are you interested in a metal butt plate for yours ? Is the LOP too long, etc ?

Quote Originally Posted by silver belly62 View Post
    Believe the front sight is original that came with it. Why are you interested in a metal butt plate for yours ? Is the LOP too long, etc ?
    Old time rifles had metal butt plates. I like the shorter length of pull also. I like 13", so it doesn't get snagged on my hunting jacket.

Shot it yesterday and will have to get a higher front sight like you said. Went ahead and adjusted it for windage, hopefully less to do later when the other front comes inIMG_3635.jpg

Remington CoreLokt 405's might bring you down a few inches more. Then at 100 yards they might be right where you want them a few inches high. With the 405's you will be good to 125 or 150, then they really drop off. On my Marlin 45-70 Cowboy the Hornady were shooting 5 or 6 inches higher at 60 yards then the Rem. 405's.

Remington CoreLokt 405's might bring you down a few inches more. Then at 100 yards they might be right where you want them a few inches high. With the 405's you will be good to 125 or 150, then they really drop off. On my Marlin 45-70 Cowboy the Hornady were shooting 5 or 6 inches higher at 60 yards then the Rem. 405's.
    Ok thanks

I have the Henry 45/70 all weather. Put a skinner peep on the receiver and it printed Leverlutions 8" high at 25yrds. Installed the tallest front sight I could find (Skinner .600") and it was still about 4" high with 6 o'clock hold.
    Last weekend brought three different loads to the range. Two were 300gr at around 1900fps (advertised) and one was DoubleTapp 405gr at advertised 1810fps. The 300 were still high. The 405s came down nicely but boot big time!
    Going to roll some 405s at various charges and see if I can tune it in.

Quote Originally Posted by JJM6 View Post
    I have the Henry 45/70 all weather. Put a skinner peep on the receiver and it printed Leverlutions 8" high at 25yrds. Installed the tallest front sight I could find (Skinner .600") and it was still about 4" high with 6 o'clock hold.
    Last weekend brought three different loads to the range. Two were 300gr at around 1900fps (advertised) and one was DoubleTapp 405gr at advertised 1810fps. The 300 were still high. The 405s came down nicely but boot big time!
    Going to roll some 405s at various charges and see if I can tune it in.
    Remington CoreLokt, 405’s are only about 1300 ft./s and are very mild kicking yet that heavy slug will penetrate through just about anything., May be what you’re looking for.
    Last edited by longbow; 03-07-2019 at 10:06 AM.