Thread: Antler drops?

Default Antler drops?

Just curious when you guys see the bucks start dropping their antlers around Vermont. We usually don't do anything with cameras from after the season until mid summer, but my Dad decided to put the cameras out and leave them there until yesterday. He got lots of nice photos, including a couple bucks. One that still had antlers was taken last week. I expect them to drop anytime soon, yes?
    "License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.
    "

I’d say any time now. Some rut stressed bucks dropped late December. I found a fresh spike shed yesterday.

I have a camera up around my house and have a forky on there that I have been watching since January 20th. He lost an antler sometime between Jan.26th and 27th. Then as of Jan. 31st he still had it, but my card was full so who knows.

I had a spike on cam the week after muzzleloader, so mid December, and he had already shed one of his spikes. Like someone else said if they were rut or climate stressed they're shed sooner then later. With all the snow through november and december I would have thought they would have shed earlier this year.

I have a buck on camera from December 13th...almost completely healed over.
    To visit VBBC website simply copy and paste the following link into your search; www.vtbiggestbucks.com/

I've never seen any real evidence that proves "rut stressed or climate stressed" bucks loose their antlers early. For years Vermont Wardens have seen bucks that have lost their antlers in early December. These included deer taken in the December MZ Season and road kills. Also it's not unusual to see bucks carrying antlers in March as more and more game cam pictures prove. There must be a time when we could say that 75% of the bucks have dropped their antlers, like Feb. 1st but that's just a guess on my part. It's certainly quite a time span that antlers are dropped and would be interesting to know the cause.