Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Moose Lottery Application is Open!

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post

I also don't think that IF&W should be a small business counselor. They are there to manage wildlife/fisheries not be a members association. Offer a good product and let the rest fall where it may.
    Well said. Should be the practice of all Govt. agencies...... state and federal
    "The rich who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, these are the real enemies of the game" Theodore Roosevelt's the principals of the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by medrhunter View Post
    He wasn't in favor of how this was being run, but he did book his Moose hunter for 15K.
    That's a bargain, when you consider what the permits are going for at auction. Should have gotten 15,000 for the permit alone I think.

Why not allocate permits specifically for:

tagging stations- they donít get paid enough per tag
    meat cutters
    taxidermists
    hotels/motels/campgrounds
    I've already told you more than I know.

Here you go JDK: Public Hearing on February 27 for LD 728, “An Act to Fairly Compensate Registration Stations for Bear, Deer, Moose, and Turkey Registrations”. You must be clairvoyant!

I haven't hunted Maine in 8 or 9 years , the tagging station fee was a dollar. Has it increased ?
    Fly and light tackle fishing with Captain Steve Burnett....
    www.fishwatchhill.com

Quote Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
    I haven't hunted Maine in 8 or 9 years , the tagging station fee was a dollar. Has it increased ?
    $5 for a deer, bear, or moose. $2 of which is retained the agent.

$2 for a turkey

I always thought the agent should keep the fee. I don't remember paying a fee to register my moose at the warden head quarters in Greenville. That was in 93 or 94 , there were only 6 zones at the time.
    Last edited by Flatlander; 02-13-2019 at 10:08 PM.
    www.fishwatchhill.com

That might have been true 26 years ago.

I hate fee increases but I have no idea why any store would want to tag deer or bear. Half the time it is some high school girl who really doesn’t even want to see a carcass. I was told by 2 different shops that they had to buy a dedicated laptop also. Don’t know if it is true or not but if it is, it is a piece of equipment that is not generating any revenue for 9 months. Took about 15 minutes to tag my deer last Fall. $8 an hour. Or if you look at it another way, tagging deer in Washburn generates that store $90 in 2.5 months.

i don’t care how you cut it but tagging an animal and buying a bottle of moxie and bag of hot fries isn’t keeping their doors open
    Last edited by JDK; 02-14-2019 at 06:44 AM.

I know this wouldn't be popular , if the fee for a license was increased by $1.00 to pay the tagging agents it would work out to approx. $4.00 per tag.
    Last edited by Flatlander; 02-14-2019 at 05:09 PM.
    www.fishwatchhill.com

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    i don’t care how you cut it but tagging an animal and buying a bottle of moxie and bag of hot fries isn’t keeping their doors open
    Isn't that exactly what keeps the doors open? I didn't know there was tagging station fee in ME, I guess that shows how long its been since I hunted up there. In vermont a lot of our local check in stations do whatever they can to be the "popular" check in station to get more people bringing game to their store to get more people in the doors. Started with game pools, then taking pictures of checked game, then posting on facebook. I would think if I ran a convenience store, that mainly sold small groceries and had a deli I'd do w/e is possible to get as many hunters in the door as possible. 100 hot fries is better then 15 isn't it?

Are the tag station fees enforced by the state? Or do the individual stores name their price?