Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 2019 Moose Lottery Application is Open!

Quote Originally Posted by MGK View Post
    Other thing is what happens when the hunter that got drawn for a tag and hires that guide rolls into camp and finds out the ole boy staying next to him paid 29k for the same hunt. Who do you think is getting the better spot Monday morning
    That is the exact reason I won't go with a guide service that offers multiple levels of service. 2 guides scouting, guaranteed hunts, whatever.
    I'm not going to pay for a guide who goes out and scouts for me, finds a 60" bull but hands it off the "high bucks" client of another guide.

MGK exactly, you could do 2 trips to Alaska for that money.
    Fly and light tackle fishing with Captain Steve Burnett....
    www.fishwatchhill.com

People donít want to go all the way to Alaska they want to drive their car from Boston to Maine and then back home again with the moose.You also have to remember that $20,000 is like us paying 200 to some of these people.
    Last edited by longbow; 02-18-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    People don’t want to go all the way to Alaska they want to drive their car from Boston to Maine and then back home again with the moose.You also have to remember that $20,000 is like us paying 200 to some of these people.
    I agree. Plus, like it or not, these big spenders are good for the economy. Can’t imagine not liking that. Also, like it or not, they want a grand slam of the 4 sub-species of North American moose. Can’t get an Eastern Moose west of Ontario. Not my cup of tea, but if I were still a guide I’d be happy to take their money along with the tip that goes way up with the cost of the hunt. I will add that when I was running a moose outfit, I’d book in 2 or 3 hunters per week, and make sure they were in different zones so none of them could whine about favoritism. Camp was easily accessible to three zones

I put my application in this weekend and learned I have 15 points. I bought 6 more chances to increase my donation. Fingers crossed good fortune strikes for me.

As far as those big dollar tag buyers and high priced hunts go; all the power to them. Money doesnít make happiness for a hunter and the same follows through on a high priced guided hunt. Though, money can significantly help rural residents making ends meet. In the past Iíve been critical of mixing money and wildlife management though a man wiser than me debated me on HC and constructively opened my eyes to many facets of the two.
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.

Quote Originally Posted by groundtender View Post
    I agree. Plus, like it or not, these big spenders are good for the economy. Can’t imagine not liking that. Also, like it or not, they want a grand slam of the 4 sub-species of North American moose. Can’t get an Eastern Moose west of Ontario. Not my cup of tea, but if I were still a guide I’d be happy to take their money along with the tip that goes way up with the cost of the hunt. I will add that when I was running a moose outfit, I’d book in 2 or 3 hunters per week, and make sure they were in different zones so none of them could whine about favoritism. Camp was easily accessible to three zones

That was a good call on your part IMO. Iím not against these guides making as much money as possible. Everyone has to eat. I do think the guides who are taking these hunters on want to be very careful because happy hunters might say a few good words but a hunter who thinks they got slighted especially since they didnít pay top dollar for their tag will drag that guide service through the mud on every social media outlet possible.

I can't wait to see what happens when ole Jeb from Starks driving his 73 Chevy and shooting an open sighted Krag blocks a road into a cut that hold a 55 inch bull.
    Last edited by JDK; 02-19-2019 at 06:36 AM.
    I've already told you more than I know.

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    I can't wait to see what happens when ole Jeb from Starks driving his 73 Chevy and shooting an open sighted Krag blocks a road into a cut that hold a 55 inch bull.
    Ha, Ha, yeah, ole Jeb likes to do that!

I agree that people spending that kind of money on a Maine moose hunt need to be checked out. you don't even have to go to Alaska. Head to NB, Newfoundland, basically anywhere in Eastern Canada and get yourself a chance at a 65"+ bull. My work supervisor went up North of Montreal on a Bear hunt last spring. Some of those guides do Moose in Newfoundland. I think he said the hunts were around $5000-$6000. Rather than putting in for Maine every year, maybe we should just save up that money and after a while put it towards a Canada hunt.
    Last edited by NorthMaine; 02-19-2019 at 02:56 PM.

A true lottery system should have the same odds for all who qualify and not carve out for special interest groups. They are supposed to be management tools and not a welfare program (funny I know in this state now). I really shouldn't care as the permits come out of the non-resident allocation but in my humble opinion this stinks.

Any deer permits are getting the same way.
    Last edited by JDK; 02-20-2019 at 08:47 AM.
    I've already told you more than I know.