Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Moose Shed Hunt

Default 2018 Moose Shed Hunt

If anyone is interested, here are three shed hunting videos I did last May.
    My buddy and I go for a week of walking in the woods.
    Day 1 & 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q6PSiCN8Ig&t=81s
    Day 3 & 4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqpbaxj4N38
    Day 5 & 7
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_MO8lDaec0

Thanks for posting Rusty! I really enjoyed these video's. I'm really looking forward to shed hunting this spring as I'm sure you are too.

Nice . Thanks for posting. What do you do with the antlers? If you sell them what is the going rate per pound?

Very nice interesting vids Rusty. Thanks for taking us along on the adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Nice . Thanks for posting. What do you do with the antlers? If you sell them what is the going rate per pound?
    I know you were asking Rusty, but I sold around 350 lbs last fall. I got $12 a lb for craft grade which are good color, not too big and not chewed. $10 a lb for A grade which can have slight chew marks and good color, any size. $5 a lb for B grade which are mostly junk but have a few good tines and base. $2 for chalk moose antlers. These are bleached out and all chewed up, the kind I used to leave in the woods. Had I know that a 12 lb antler that was all chewed to pieces and bleached out, cracked tines was worth about $25, I would have brought them out of the woods years ago. I probably left about $500 worth of them at todays prices in the woods over the last 35 years. Some of the dealers I talked to only wanted the good ones. The guy I sold to took every grade. I kept 20 or so of my best ones including 6 matched pairs. I regret that I sold probably 300 lbs of craft and grade A antlers 20 years ago for $3 a lb.

Quote Originally Posted by Browseline View Post
    I know you were asking Rusty, but I sold around 350 lbs last fall. I got $12 a lb for craft grade which are good color, not too big and not chewed. $10 a lb for A grade which can have slight chew marks and good color, any size. $5 a lb for B grade which are mostly junk but have a few good tines and base. $2 for chalk moose antlers. These are bleached out and all chewed up, the kind I used to leave in the woods. Had I know that a 12 lb antler that was all chewed to pieces and bleached out, cracked tines was worth about $25, I would have brought them out of the woods years ago. I probably left about $500 worth of them at todays prices in the woods over the last 35 years. Some of the dealers I talked to only wanted the good ones. The guy I sold to took every grade. I kept 20 or so of my best ones including 6 matched pairs. I regret that I sold probably 300 lbs of craft and grade A antlers 20 years ago for $3 a lb.
    That's some nice money. I may have to make a spring scouting trip after the snow melts and look for some.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    That's some nice money. I may have to make a spring scouting trip after the snow melts and look for some.
    I got $192 for my best antler. A few years ago I wouldn't be talking about all this, but there are few places now that don't get hit pretty hard by shed hunters, guys in their 20's and 30's that can really cover some ground. There are also a lot fewer moose in Western Maine , Northern NH and VT. I'm getting too old to get to a lot of the places I used to go. My days of hiking in 5 or 6 miles to where I wanted to look and back out with 50 lbs of antlers are over.

I find a few every year without really looking. Usually I just leave them as I am hunting deer.

When you condense a week long trip down to 20 minutes of video, it looks like sheds are around every tree, but this was two people doing 10 hour days walking 8-10 miles a day.
    I do it for the fun. I could make more money working the same amount of time at McDonalds. Once my pile gets too big for the basement, I will sell them. Browseline is spot on on the price. I am hoping to get out more this year and do a better job on the videos. Plus have a few more trips recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by rustyg View Post
    When you condense a week long trip down to 20 minutes of video, it looks like sheds are around every tree, but this was two people doing 10 hour days walking 8-10 miles a day.
    I do it for the fun. I could make more money working the same amount of time at McDonalds. Once my pile gets too big for the basement, I will sell them. Browseline is spot on on the price. I am hoping to get out more this year and do a better job on the videos. Plus have a few more trips recorded.
    Sorry too late ,I got five truckloads of friends all headed up to make some big money! Where are your best spots?