Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Which One Would You Hunt With?

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    My go to gun is a 7400 for me nothing like a semi auto, 2nd choice old stand by win. 30/30.
    Earl,

Mine is the 742...probably soon to be the 760 or 7600. Winchester lever is down the list for me right now though I may take it out for a hunt in honor of my father.

Roger-

Quote Originally Posted by Meatseeker View Post
    From that list.....

Winchester Model 94 in 32 Win Special, with Williams peep sights

I also have 1895 Guide gun that is nice to carry.

My favorite isn't on your list..... 1953 Winchester Model 70 in 308. I'm a bolt guy, but I do very little tracking
    Meatseeker,

Nice to see a bolt guy. Love the caliber and the vintage. Nothing like a smooth shooting bolt. Do you know the year of MFG on the Model 94?

Roger-
    Last edited by Grandkid; 01-12-2019 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grey ghost View Post
    I think you can probably get used to almost anything if you use it enough , but whatever it is it should fit like a glove and be an old friend.
    If you're stand hunting it isn't quite as important , but when things happen fast on the ground you shouldn't have to think about anything , just react.
    What ever gun you use you should be able to work the action while keeping the gun on your shoulder and eyes on sights , if not you might have to shorten the stock a bit.
    I also think it should be in a caliber that is fairly common so that shells are available and at a decent price.

For me it's a lever action 30-30 (336) with peep sights , with 52 yr old eyes I'm on borrowed time but hope to keep the same set up for a while yet.

Pros - fast handling , well balanced , relatively light , joy to carry , shoulders very well , very fast (aimed) follow up shots , shells available anywhere
    Grey Ghost,

I couldn't agree more with all you wrote. What year is the Marlin? How long have you been shooting it?

Thanks,

Roger-

Quote Originally Posted by Mikejd View Post
    I like carrying my lever guns just as much as my 760. However I have been carrying the 760 more because I do feel it offers a faster follow up. I carry my gun in my hand so the lever action does feel nicer in hand.
    Mike,

Is your 760 a carbine? What is your style of hunting? Tracking? The feel of the lever gun in your hand is nicer due to the balance? or something else.

Roger-

Quote Originally Posted by mowbizz View Post
    Browning BAR lightweight...308
    Have carried Marlins in 30-30 and 35, Remington 742 in 308, Remington model 700 BDL in 7mm mag, also carried my Dadís old Gamemaster pump in 35 rem and liked them all...LOVE the Browning BAR.
    Nice selection of guns. The semi auto BAR is your go to. Scope or iron sights?

Roger-

Quote Originally Posted by Grandkid View Post
    LB,

The 7600 is what I thought you would say. But I have seen that you have all of them and wondered if you see any advantages of one over the other....or is it you just feel more confident and proficient with it?

Roger-
    Yes, very familiar with the rifle, never even think about clicking the safety off, just automatic. Magazines are nice also. Been using it since 03 and shot some nice bucks with it as well as some moose, so you could say we have been thru a lot together. She gets annoyed if I go out with another, I think. But she doesn't hold it against me, always comes thru, except last year, my first miss, but it wasn't much of a shot, my fault.

Also, I like it's ability to reach out if I see a big one out across the "cut". And the 35 Whelen with the 225 Bear Claws is just a devastating combo.

I like your style. Bear Claws on deer and moose! Gotta run them down first though. Have you brought your other girls out for a walk in the deer woods?

Roger-

Mountain Hunter,

How do you handle the follow up shot with a lever action. Do you cycle it with the but stock on your shoulder or do you drop it down then re-mount and acquire your target. Does the guide gun or 336 have a shorter LOP than the 7600? So if you customized the 7600 it would have been fine for you...right.

Thanks,

Roger-
    I cycle it with it on my shoulder, and I do not take my eye off the target. I can shoot it pretty fast, but a pump is still faster.

The Marlin's have a shorter LOP than the 7600. It feels just right to me.
    Born to hunt, forced to work.

Not sure I could do that with a lever action. Pump no problem though. I would have thought that the Marlin had a standard LOP of 13.5".

Thanks,

Roger-

Mike,

Is your 760 a carbine? What is your style of hunting? Tracking? The feel of the lever gun in your hand is nicer due to the balance? or something else.

Roger-
    The gun just feels great in the hand. The spot you grab just feels good so I can carry it all day. I am mostly a still hunter but track when conditions permit. When I sit on stand I usually carry a scoped bolt action rifle. Now thats a gun I hate to carry due to comfort. My 760 is cut down to a 17" barrel.
    Last edited by Mikejd; 01-12-2019 at 10:47 PM.