Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which One Would You Hunt With?

Quote Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
    A little duct tape will take care of the rattle.
    You can't beat duct tape...

Quote Originally Posted by Mainewoods View Post
    7600 without a doubt. Best handling, fast follow ups, and detachable magazine. Nothing wrong with the others, but I love the pumps.
    Maine woods does your love of pumps originate and extend to shotguns? I have lots of time with a Remington 870 shooting ducks and even many rounds of skeet with it. I can handle it like it is an extension of my arm. Another benefit is that there hasn't been any issues with mechanical aspects of it.

Roger-

Quote Originally Posted by Kingman Cruncher View Post
    Iíve hunted with a 7600 for most of my hunting career though thatís pretty short compared to a lot of guys.
    You didnt specify where or what type of hunting, but Iím assuming the north east. There are a lot of good qualities of the 7600 that have been preached over the years and itís killed a lot of bucks.

For me, I think the 336 carries a tad better. For me it feels better, fits better, and shoulders better.

The negatives for me on the 336 is the lack of a magazine and getting familiar with no cross bolt safety again.

7600 trigger to me even with the new springs is likely the worst modern trigger in existence!

Im glad you started this thread as I was going to start something similar and still may regarding using one gun for all conditions, or do people use a different tool for different jobs.

Iím conflicted on what Iíll do this year.

Id hunt with what fits you the best and you feel the most comfortable with.
    KC I do hunt in the northeast...yes I would be using it here. For several years I have hunted with a muzzle loader in shotgun towns in southern NH and during the Massachusetts late December seasons. When I get to hunt the big woods I have used a 742 and a Ruger bolt action. I can shoot the 742 very well because I have shot so many boxes of shells through it that it is second nature to point and shoot off hand. Love the Lyman peep on it and its very accurate. That gun has fit me best through the years.

The one thing that I couldn't do quickly is work the safety on a bolt quickly. The cross bolt on a Remington has become second nature to me.

My all conditions gun would right now be the 742...but I'm going to shoot the 760 and 7600 lots to see if those will be my new go to gun. The Marlin 336 intrigues me....because of the thread you posted so I will be on the hunt to find a vintage one to shoot.

Thanks for your response.

Roger-

Quote Originally Posted by Grandkid View Post
    Maine woods does your love of pumps originate and extend to shotguns? I have lots of time with a Remington 870 shooting ducks and even many rounds of skeet with it. I can handle it like it is an extension of my arm. Another benefit is that there hasn't been any issues with mechanical aspects of it.

Roger-
    Thats funny you say that. Part of my reason for carrying my 760 is because my favorite gun to carry is my Winchester 1300. I turkey hunt with this gun and this is the gun that i feel the most comfortable with. And my 760 feel similar. The safety's are the same which is my favorite part.

Quote Originally Posted by silver belly62 View Post
    All great rifles mentioned but for me it would be my fathers 760 (not 7600), carbine. Prefer the shorter length and loaded magazine. I am not a fan of see through mounts, but the only ones I ever liked is the set he put on his rifle. It is a much older set that sits much lower and I can look at the regular iron sight and scope without much movement, wish I could find another set or two of them. Only change I did was replace the top of the rear ramp sight with a williams ghost ring style that has the two green fiber dots, after seeing that posted by a member on here. Had a Marlin 35 Remington but as much as I liked that rifle it never fit me good and I never shot it well either and ended up selling it, same for the winchester 30-30.
    SB,
    I have my fathers Winchester 94 in 32special. It has a Lyman peep and can shoot. I haven't taken it out hunting for deer since I was a youngster. I just may try it out as a 58 year old...my eyes are good enough for that sight. Straight buckhorn sites have become fuzzy though. I can say that I would have to opt out of the see through as I don't want to think...when the action if fast.

Roger-
    Last edited by Grandkid; 01-12-2019 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Hunter View Post
    I should also mention that I started off with a 336. My 7600 wasn't a carbine. It always felt very long to me coming from a 336 carbine. I know 100% that I could love a 7600 if it were a carbine with a trigger job and a shorter LOP.
    Mountain Hunter,

How do you handle the follow up shot with a lever action. Do you cycle it with the but stock on your shoulder or do you drop it down then re-mount and acquire your target. Does the guide gun or 336 have a shorter LOP than the 7600? So if you customized the 7600 it would have been fine for you...right.

Thanks,

Roger-

I hunt with a 7600 , 99 ,and a 700. I like to mix it up.
    Flatlander,

Are you stand hunting or tracking with each? Do you favor any one of them over the other?

Thanks,

Roger-

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    I have them all. I've been trying to decide for a long time! They are all good. I like them all. Just a matter of personal preference. I can't decide. Hmmmmmmmmm. No, I can't really say. Let me think on it................I usually walk out the door with my 7600, 35 Whelen, 2x7 Leupold scope.
    LB,

The 7600 is what I thought you would say. But I have seen that you have all of them and wondered if you see any advantages of one over the other....or is it you just feel more confident and proficient with it?

Roger-

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    Long ago, I came to the conclusion that sights/optics matter far more than firearms and the right clothing matters infinitely more than either of those.
    JDK,

I get the sights/optics but not certain why you are placing more emphasis on the clothing? The clothing I think is dependent on your style of hunting and the weather conditions for the hunt.

Your sight of choice would be different depending on terrain or weather condition?

Roger-
    Last edited by Grandkid; 01-12-2019 at 09:44 PM.

A little duct tape will take care of the rattle.
    Or a nice chunk of grey foam too....