Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which One Would You Hunt With?

Default Which One Would You Hunt With?

Okay....for you gun guys with plenty seasoning and experience handling and hunting with one particular firearms or perhaps tried different firearms I would like to pose a question.

Out of the ones I am listing if you had to have one gun to hunt deer with under any condition which would you choose? Pro's and Con's if you want also.

Remington 760 or 7600
    Savage 99
    Marlin 336
    Winchester 94

Sorry that I am excluding bolt actions and semi-autos. It's for my own selfish reasons.

Caliber isn't a consideration as long at it is large enough to use on a deer. Sight choice, carbine or not and vintage would be helpful.

I will confess that I have a 760 and a 7600 and a couple of Winchester 94's (50's vintage).

Roger-

I own all but the M94. Hands down of what you listed, the Marlin 336. Consistently the most accurate, best handling, least fussy, less trouble prone, and fits me the best
    Last edited by JDK; 01-12-2019 at 10:00 AM.
    I've already told you more than I know.

7600 without a doubt. Best handling, fast follow ups, and detachable magazine. Nothing wrong with the others, but I love the pumps.

Iíve hunted with a 7600 for most of my hunting career though thatís pretty short compared to a lot of guys.
    You didnt specify where or what type of hunting, but Iím assuming the north east. There are a lot of good qualities of the 7600 that have been preached over the years and itís killed a lot of bucks.

For me, I think the 336 carries a tad better. For me it feels better, fits better, and shoulders better.

The negatives for me on the 336 is the lack of a magazine and getting familiar with no cross bolt safety again.

7600 trigger to me even with the new springs is likely the worst modern trigger in existence!

Im glad you started this thread as I was going to start something similar and still may regarding using one gun for all conditions, or do people use a different tool for different jobs.

Iím conflicted on what Iíll do this year.

Id hunt with what fits you the best and you feel the most comfortable with.

All great rifles mentioned but for me it would be my fathers 760 (not 7600), carbine. Prefer the shorter length and loaded magazine. I am not a fan of see through mounts, but the only ones I ever liked is the set he put on his rifle. It is a much older set that sits much lower and I can look at the regular iron sight and scope without much movement, wish I could find another set or two of them. Only change I did was replace the top of the rear ramp sight with a williams ghost ring style that has the two green fiber dots, after seeing that posted by a member on here. Had a Marlin 35 Remington but as much as I liked that rifle it never fit me good and I never shot it well either and ended up selling it, same for the winchester 30-30.
    Last edited by silver belly62; 01-12-2019 at 08:37 AM.

For me, its the 336 or an 1895 Marlin. Both of mine are more accurate than my 7600 whelen ever was. My 7600 was slightly faster on the follow up shots, and I did like having a clip. I hated the trigger, and the gun always felt awkward with my T-rex arms. I sold mine and bought a guide gun. That is my favorite followed by by 336 carbine.
    Born to hunt, forced to work.

I should also mention that I started off with a 336. My 7600 wasn't a carbine. It always felt very long to me coming from a 336 carbine. I know 100% that I could love a 7600 if it were a carbine with a trigger job and a shorter LOP.
    Born to hunt, forced to work.

I hunt with a 7600 , 99 ,and a 700. I like to mix it up.
    Fly and light tackle fishing with Captain Steve Burnett....
    www.fishwatchhill.com

I have them all. I've been trying to decide for a long time! They are all good. I like them all. Just a matter of personal preference. I can't decide. Hmmmmmmmmm. No, I can't really say. Let me think on it................I usually walk out the door with my 7600, 35 Whelen, 2x7 Leupold scope.
    Last edited by longbow; 01-12-2019 at 09:44 AM.

Long ago, I came to the conclusion that sights/optics matter far more than firearms and the right clothing matters infinitely more than either of those.
    I've already told you more than I know.