Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlin 336SC .35 Remington

Default Marlin 336SC .35 Remington

In another thread where we were talking about lever guns, I mentioned I missed my last one and someday hoped to have another and that I always like the .35 Sporting Carbine. A member here locally reached out that he had one he was interested in parting with and was kind enough to deliver it. Once I held it those days of hunting with a lever gun came back. Thanks Greg.

This week I got to reading and watching YouTube on crash course gunsmithing.

The gun is a 1951 waffle top. Was drilled for a scope, which I thought I would run but really liked the open sights. I removed the scope mounts, filled the holes with filler screws I picked up, and painted the front bead bright orange to use the buckhorn sight.

It had the original white butt stock spacer which was pretty shrunk, so instead of finding a replacement I just removed it as I like the cleaner look without.

I then filled the existing stud screw hole in the stock with a bullseye learning how on a marlin forum.

Next I stripped the gun completely down and cleaned off 70 years of grime, and got to the trigger which needed some work. The forward and back marlin floppy trigger I can deal with, but this had some left to right playbwhich I shimmed so the trigger is firm and breaks cleanly for what it is.

Very happy with the gun, canít wait to shoot it. Ammo on the way. 94983294-F660-4A20-BD9B-DEA61250BD48.jpg432FD7B3-0263-4338-8C4B-AC204E92E527.jpgBF623C2E-06C7-44DA-A473-0A18DB175539.jpeg

Great rifle! What kind of ammo did you order?

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Great rifle! What kind of ammo did you order?
    The Hornady. Thoughts?
    I got a box of corelokts locally too.
    I’m not that experienced with different brands to be perfectly honest. Reading up on bullet performance is confusing. Some say the hornady at close range isn’t ideal, then the next 10 guys say it’s great.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingman Cruncher View Post
    The Hornady. Thoughts?
    I got a box of corelokts locally too.
    I’m not that experienced with different brands to be perfectly honest. Reading up on bullet performance is confusing. Some say the hornady at close range isn’t ideal, then the next 10 guys say it’s great.
    200 grain Corelokts are ideal in that rifle. The traditional load. Couple of inches high at 100, then a hold on the spine will put you in the boiler at 200. I'm sure the Hornady will be fine also, as long as they shoot good in your rifle, and they are flatter shooting also, but you won't be too concerned with that. Midway USA has the 200 grain Corelokt on sale now.
    Last edited by longbow; 01-10-2019 at 08:16 PM.

Thanks.

You got me excited to use my 35 Remington! Never hunted with it. Used a 444 Marlin and a Savage 99 with peeps though. This is the peep set up I have on my 35 Remington. It screwed into the side, into the factory holes. Had to get a higher front sight. I like the Remington CoreLokt's for the rifle.

Could not tell you what model mine is, I see it is different than yours.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by longbow; 01-10-2019 at 08:32 PM.

Nice. I had a peep like that on my 1895 45-70. I see this one at one time had the same as I can lightly see the outline. That’s what I love about these old guns, if they could tell a story. This one likely had stock sights, a peep, a buckhorn, and a scope during its duty.

I have never owned a .35 Remington though I think it’s a great round for Maine. Happy to add it to the safe.

Ill certainly hunt with it this year a bit.

I just looked up my rifle in an old Stoeger catalog that I have. Looks like mine is on the bottom. Says made in 35 cal also.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The straight grip is pretty awesome ascetically, brings me back to watching westerns with my grandfather for hours and hours.

Very nice rifle KC, good luck with it