Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlin 336SC .35 Remington

The catalog I posted says it costs $68.95 new, did you get a good deal on it?
    Last edited by longbow; 01-11-2019 at 08:46 AM.

Very nice , I have a 1951 SC in 30-30 , it's the only deer gun I use (35 yrs now). I use a Williams 5D peep which is the same sight as Long Bow posted the pic of , my receiver is not drilled and tapped. The rear sight on your gun is not a Marlin sight , looks like a Marbles Buckhorn sight to me.

Quote Originally Posted by grey ghost View Post
    Very nice , I have a 1951 SC in 30-30 , it's the only deer gun I use (35 yrs now). I use a Williams 5D peep which is the same sight as Long Bow posted the pic of , my receiver is not drilled and tapped. The rear sight on your gun is not a Marlin sight , looks like a Marbles Buckhorn sight to me.
    That's impressive using it all those years. What kind of ammo do you shoot and how has the rifles performance been on deer?

The gun was my Grandfather's and passed on to me in '84 , I've used it every year since. I don't know how many deer my Grandfather killed with it , but has performed well for me. I switched from open sights to a peep in '03 when my eyes started to slow down .
    I've used Win PP and ST in the past but have been using Core-Lokts for the last 10 yrs or so , always 170's. I don't think there's much point in using the Hornady in an un-scoped gun .

Nice work KC. She cleans up well.

Correct on the sight. I like the concept of the sight after reading about it and the different alignment methods for close, medium, far range. My eyes adjust to it like a peep centering it, so will likely sight in that way for elevation for near/short distance range. As it is a drilled receiver, I may decide to put on a Williams as I’m familiar with them. I gotta shoot it first.

The gun was my Grandfather's and passed on to me in '84 , I've used it every year since. I don't know how many deer my Grandfather killed with it , but has performed well for me. I switched from open sights to a peep in '03 when my eyes started to slow down .
    I've used Win PP and ST in the past but have been using Core-Lokts for the last 10 yrs or so , always 170's. I don't think there's much point in using the Hornady in an un-scoped gun .
    Great legacy with that rifle.

Some guys today consider the 30/30 under powered. Have there been any situations where you wished you had more power or has it always performed well.

It's a deer rifle , while I have shot deer at over 100 yrds most are under 30 and while not a moose gun I've killed two with it.
    Yes, according to many the 30-30 is underpowered , but the deer don't know that (don't read the gun mags I guess).
    Last edited by grey ghost; 01-11-2019 at 12:39 PM.

As far as a 30-30 being under powered for deer I would argue that most calibers are over powered. If a 270 ,308 ,30-06 etc. will kill an elk or a moose with 1 shot do you need one to kill a deer that's only a quarter of that size. Maybe a 30 -30 doesn't have the range but it has the power.
    Fly and light tackle fishing with Captain Steve Burnett....
    www.fishwatchhill.com

30-30 remains a great round for deer, although is likely the least glamorous of them all despite the fact that here in Maine it has likely taken more big game than any other caliber.