Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester Model 88

Default Winchester Model 88

My friend is looking at one of these that are for sale in my area in 308. Does anyone have any experience with this model or info on anything he might want to look out for etc, or are they usually a good rifle overall ? I've heard of them before but have never owned one

They're awesome. Well, thats my opinion atleast. We have a couple - they're cool to look at, they cycle very smooth and shoot great. I'm a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by silver belly62 View Post
    My friend is looking at one of these that are for sale in my area in 308. Does anyone have any experience with this model or info on anything he might want to look out for etc, or are they usually a good rifle overall ? I've heard of them before but have never owned one
    You are really buying a lot of rifles! Oh, sorry, it's your "friend".

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    You are really buying a lot of rifles! Oh, sorry, it's your "friend".
    No actually it is really for him for once lol, I prefer the pump and if it is a lever action the 45-70 variety or my BLR 308 lol. He doesn't do forums that much and thought more on here would know then any others. Thats why I'm not even going to look at it with him if he goes back ! lol
    Last edited by silver belly62; 01-08-2019 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sneaky_pete000 View Post
    They're awesome. Well, thats my opinion atleast. We have a couple - they're cool to look at, they cycle very smooth and shoot great. I'm a fan.
    He said the action was very smooth, and he liked it better than any of his 30-30's

Quote Originally Posted by sneaky_pete000 View Post
    How's the trigger pull on the ones you have ?

Never handled one of those.

My grandfather hunts with a win 88 and has for years. Seems to be a solid setup. Trigger pull isn’t great.

I had wanted one for years and looked high and low. I shot a friend's a number of times and a couple of things turned me off of them.

The trigger was terrible
    Recoil, especially for a 308, was pretty stiff

And, irrelevant to your buddy, the price I have seen them for was high. I looked at one today and the asking price is $895.

I wanted to add in edit that if I could find one for the right price I'd grab one. They are a nice rifle.
    Last edited by JDK; 01-08-2019 at 07:01 PM.
    I've already told you more than I know.

I had one 45 or 50 years ago. I liked the way it felt when I shouldered it, and it was lighter than what I was used to. What I didn't like was the trigger, which seemed to have a delay from the time the trigger broke to when the rifle fired, among other things. It was like shooting a flintlock. Maybe there was something wrong with it, I don't know. I shot a couple deer with it and then sold it because the trigger bothered me so much.