Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Henry 45-70

Nice looking rifle...enjoy!

Nice rig. Your gonna make those 760's sad.

Roger-

Man, that is a really good looking gun. Almost too good. I've never really looked at the Henry rifles.
    I love it when a plan comes together!

I shot it today at 100 yards. Nice group about 1.5 inches. Have it 3 inches high, so should be right in there at 200.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    I shot it today at 100 yards. Nice group about 1.5 inches. Have it 3 inches high, so should be right in there at 200.
    Thatís more than good for any New England hunting youíll ever do...not sure about Joisey but the woods must be pretty compact there too! I have never shot a deer at further than 60 yds ( this yearís buck) except one at 200 yds in Vermont back in the 60ís.
    We were cruising fields on the last day for doe permits and I took a pop at a skipper standing broadside at that distance with my Marlin open sighted 30-30. I did draw a couple drops of blood and white hair but she ran up and over the mountain never to be seen again. Must have tickled her belly...
    That Henry will serve you well! Best of luck next season!

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    How high would that make it at 50 yards? Still 3"?
    Born to hunt, forced to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Hunter View Post
    How high would that make it at 50 yards? Still 3"?
    I would guess about half that but I will shoot and see.

Quote Originally Posted by JJM6 View Post
    Just got the Henry 45/70 all weather this year. Set up with a skinner peep and brass front sight . Cool rifles
    How do you like that "skinner" peep sight ? Considering putting one on another rifle

Skinner Peep is nice. When mounted on the receiver a MUCH taller front sight is required. I ended up buying the .600" brass 3/8" dovetail from skinner. Tallest front sight I could find anywhere. Still prints a few inches high at 50yrds. Only fired a couple of boxes with it. I'll spent much more time shooting this over the summer to get comfortable with where it prints at 25,50 and 100 yards. Six o'clock hold for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JJM6 View Post
    Skinner Peep is nice. When mounted on the receiver a MUCH taller front sight is required. I ended up buying the .600" brass 3/8" dovetail from skinner. Tallest front sight I could find anywhere. Still prints a few inches high at 50yrds. Only fired a couple of boxes with it. I'll spent much more time shooting this over the summer to get comfortable with where it prints at 25,50 and 100 yards. Six o'clock hold for sure.
    What kind of ammo? I was shooting buffalo bore out of my marlin 4570 cowboy and it was shooting 8 inches higher than the Remington 405’s.
    Last edited by longbow; 01-09-2019 at 11:26 AM.