Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Changing Tide?

I quit watching most of the t.v. shows. I only watch meateater and On The Water , it's local and I know some of the captains. One thing that really irks me and i'm sure gives people the wrong impression is posts like "I've got 5 in the freezer so now I'm just hunting for horns ."
    Fly and light tackle fishing with Captain Steve Burnett....
    www.fishwatchhill.com

Quote Originally Posted by 802-603hunter View Post
    When we are on long drives and my 5 year old son asks how much longer, I have to describe it in terms of how many Meateater episodes it would be. For instance, 45 minutes away from camp is two episodes of Meateater. He loves that show.
    Dad are we there yet? dad are we there yet? How much longer, what time are we going to get there? You can only yell go too sleep! so many times. Ill try your approach next time as she loves the show meateater to. Asked me to pause it the other day during the Alaska moose hunt so she could go to the bathroom!

Meateater is a good show, my only complaint is that I’m not at all interested in a lot of what he hunts and so I don’t watch most of the episodes. No interest at all in watching his South America hunts and his hunts for things like spruce grouse. However, I really like his attitude about things.
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

Quote Originally Posted by Escout711 View Post
    Meateater is a good show, my only complaint is that I’m not at all interested in a lot of what he hunts and so I don’t watch most of the episodes. No interest at all in watching his South America hunts and his hunts for things like spruce grouse. However, I really like his attitude about things.
    Yeah, boring, know it all. Give me Sprit of the Wild any day.

I actually had fallen into the “trophy hunter” mentality for a handful of years. I did connect on a couple really nice racked bucks but I had also passed on some other bucks because they weren’t a wall hanger. During those years I had internally questioned (never to the hunter or to anyone else) why people would shoot this certain deer or that certain deer and not let the “grow” one more year. I had become a snob.

What changed things for me was when I started taking my kids hunting a couple of years ago. This year one of my daughters shot a buck with a rack bigger than anything I’ve ever shot. She was just as happy and excited holding onto that rack as her sister was holding onto the doe that she shot. I shot a young buck during black powder season and couldn’t be happier. It was the best deer season that I’ve ever had. I think the measure of a successful and a trophy hunt has become clouded. To each is their own and we should all respect that.

I agree Snowed

IMHO, there is absolutely nothing wrong with setting goals and standards for yourself. Matter of fact, I have great respect for those that set the bar high and stick to it no matter what. The problem arises when those goals or standards get shoved down the throats of others.
    I've already told you more than I know.

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    I agree Snowed

IMHO, there is absolutely nothing wrong with setting goals and standards for yourself. Matter of fact, I have great respect for those that set the bar high and stick to it no matter what. The problem arises when those goals or standards get shoved down the throats of others.
    Amen.

I had a great season. I killed a spike in MA with my bow that was around 115 lbs. Worked my ass off for that deer. My son killed a button buck in MA with his muzzy and I got to see the whole thing go down. And both my son and I killed small does on the last day of our rifle hunt in PA. Awesome season. Freezer is full. I butcher all my MA deer myself. In PA we use this phenomenal old school Polish butcher. I had the tenderloins and back straps wrapped, the rest I had put into 60 lbs of traditional smokehouse keilbasi and 10 lbs put into slim jims. Super good stuff. One of these years I'll get around to killing a wall hanger.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Hunter View Post
    I think you hit the nail on the head. I agree with everything you wrote.
    Glad you agreed...I really meant every word of it.
    Thanks Mountain Hunter.

Roger-

Quote Originally Posted by Mainewoods View Post
    Only thing Ill watch is Meateater. The rest just mostly suck.
    I'll backtrack on my own comment. I've now completely hooked on Randy Newberg's Fresh Tracks, or On Your Own Adventure series. Yes, it's all mostly out west, but public land and some amazingly hard hunts. He's got the right attitude, that's for sure!