Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Russell Report 2018

Still I was hoping to find the big boy’s fresh track so Icontinued on. I made a big swing backout to the road without finding exactly what I was looking for so I hopped inthe rig and did a little more searching for a road track. I hit a nearby sideroad and found a good track made around dawn. I hopped on it and after quarter of a mile was discouraged as it lookedmuch older than I originally thought. Istayed on it and a few hundred yards later, I realized that there were two bucktracks the fresher one I had started on and an older one from the same buck. I stayed on the fresher one as they split offfrom each other and kept on him for a couple of miles.

I ended up crossing the road I had come in on thatmorning and realized I missed his track and I now knew I was even furtherbehind him – so I hurried off to the truck for a new plan.
    I decided I’d check out a spot a few miles to the southwith some 2 year old choppings. I parkedthe rig at a downed tree and headed in. A half mile down the road, there were a few tracks on the road includinga nice buck that had come out of the chopping, made a couple of scrapes andheaded down in.

I planned to make a bigswing hoping to freshen him up as it was later in the day and although I didfind his track again, and a couple more scrapes, they weren’t any fresher.

All the tracks appeared to be from bucks searching fromdoes so I wrote this off and relocated a mile down the road. Same story in this chopping as one big buckhad come through twice looking for does, but they weren’t around. I got back to the rig right at the end oflegal time.
    Last edited by Russell Bro.; 12-24-2018 at 08:58 AM.
    That's how you do it...

JEFF Monday Nov 12th
    I dropped Josh off at steam crossing and once I knew he was safely across, I headed to scout the back of a massive 1year old cut.

Sunny. Cold. Still. I spent an hour in there with the 16ga and shot a bird before tripping over a moose shed… literally- that’s how I found it.

Don't get no better than this, 'cept tomorrow when we get the big one, ayah...

No deer sign to speak of in 3-day old snow. I headed for a ridge that held a gang of deer last year and found a few tracks, not many, but one really big track of a 230lber cruising alone. In that section of woods, I shot another partridge and found another moose horn on an abandoned log road.

That afternoon I headed to check a couple cameras and had a 2-year-old buck run across a skid trail next to the truck and stop about 80yds out. It would have been quite the scene for a heater-hunter.

As the sun set, I went in to check a camera and noticed a fresh bear track running past it from that afternoon. We captured some video of him/her… I’d be tracking it in the morning! Pretty eventful day considering I no longer had a buck tag!

JOSH Tuesday Nov 13th
    Another storm had rolled in and it was snowing pretty good as we traveled the log roads searching for tracks. I’ll never complain about a day time storm during hunting season, but I much prefer when the snows stop around midnight. It would be another tough day to find tracks, but I knew where a few big bucks were hanging out at this point so I figured I’d strike out on foot and have Jeff do the same. I went to the same place from the morning prior, where the biggest buck we’d located so far had been through a few times. I came at it from a different angle and made a huge swing, hoping I’d find something to follow. I did find an older buck track (from before the snow started) and he was 200lb but not the big boy. I followed the track for a mile or so hoping to come onto something fresher. He took me up a steep ridge where he laid down a scrape and later bedded. He started heading the direction opposite of where I wanted to go so I split off and finished my swing. I worked my way out to an old winter road, walked the length of that and without finding any new tracks, headed for the rig to relocate.

I bumped into Jeff once I started driving – he suggested we hop in the same rig and try to find a track crossing the road that we could then double team. Since Jeff had tagged out he became the camp bitch- scout, pack mule, snow plow, tow truck and camera man.
    That's how you do it...

We ended up bumping into Dad and Uncle Gary around lunchtime and sat with them for a bit while we ate our sandwiches.

With the snow still piling up, we decided to go hit thearea Jeff got his buck in as more of a scouting mission, but hoping to findwhere one crossed in the brand new snow.
    Around 2:00 we found what we were looking for. Three sets of tracks had cut across the roadand while there was some snow in them, we knew they were only an hour or soahead of us.

After tracking them for acouple hundred yards, I turned to Jeff and said, “this isn’t anything Iwant.” My best guess is that it was abuck of about 170lbs or so with two other smaller deer (likely does). With it being late in the day, we decided tostay on them hoping to they’d bring us into some other deer. They took us for a couple of miles in astraight line. It was then I realizedthat they were likely heading to a yard and that we weren’t going to catchthem. Since it wasn’t anything I reallywanted to put a tag on anyways, we swung out to the road and headed back to thetruck.

That's how you do it...

The truck was about two miles straight line- I think takingthe road ended up being closer to 3. Amile into it, we saw two sets of moose tracks on the road and ended up spottinga cow and calf sneaking away from us. Further down the road we came to two more sets of moose tracks andalthough we could smell them, we never laid eyes on them.

Any kind of hot food goes down easy after aday like that… but bacon-wrapped pa-tridge?! Oh man-mister!

That's how you do it...

JEFF Tuesday Nov 13th
    I jumped on that bear track at first light. I was 18 hours behind but it was worth a shot!

Late morning, the bear crossed some ice/hard packed snow and I lost the track. I made a big circle to find in again… but I couldn’t find it coming out. The bear was inside the circle! It started snowing heavily then, and soon any sign from the day before was gone so I began peering into every nock and cranny I could seeking a sleeping bear, but I came up empty and then went looking for Josh and we chased a few around as you just read.

JOSH Wednesday Nov 14th
    Cold. Windy. Jeff and I hopped in my rig in search of a buck to double team. We hit the roads around one of the mountains we like to hunt.

We cut a few tracks heading up, including one decent buck and then did some further road work. We confirmed the deer were coming down off the other side of the mountain heading for the low lands. It looked like two sets of a buck and does. Knowing the direction they were heading, we stayed in the rig and headed North to a river. When we got to the road that parallels the river, we found what we were looking for. A big buck likely over 200lbs had crossed with two does. We were pretty sure they were heading towards a yard (very common during this time of November) but we took after them anyways.

That's how you do it...

Our hope was that the they would start doing buck and doethings and hang up in the big woods along the river. Hope is not a strategy. We came to the river’s edge and they’d gone straightacross. Anticipating they might do this, I’dthrown a pair of packable waders in my pack.

Jeff wasn’t/isn’t as smart.

That's how you do it...