Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The George Bush Buck

Default The George Bush Buck

I have enjoyed reading everyone's accounts of their northern Maine/NH hunting in the deep snow. I did the same thing up in northern NH the week of thanksgiving. 7-8 miles a day through 16-24 inches of snow is pretty good exercise! It was a great week hunting with my father. I saw about 30 deer feeding, bedded, grooming, you name it....but no bucks. I came back to southern NH to find noisy, crunchy snow. Despite the poor conditions I planned on cutting out of work early where I could and hunting weekends until the end of the season. As life has it, I only ended up getting out once last weekend. Today I had an unexpected day off as the country mourned President Bush's death. I thought, "What better way to memorialize the man in my mind than to go hunting!" So, I got out this morning on extremely noisy snow and was working slowly through a piece of woods that borders a 6 year old cut. I know there is plenty of deer in the area, but I honestly thought my odds of seeing any were pretty slim given the conditions. I got to a spot that looked right, stopped and grunted a few times. Within about 5 minutes I heard footsteps coming out of the softwood that borders the cut (which is now full of brush...and deer). Between the softwood and myself was a small "ripple", and I couldn't see the deer until it had just gone down into the ripple. When it came up the other side, it was staring right at me at about 25 yards with nothing in between us. She looked at me for a minute and then blew and ran to my left about 50 yards and stopped. I was hoping a buck would be in tow, so I didn't move for another 5 or so minutes, and then I heard footsteps from the softwood again. This time I had my gun up ready for the deer as it came out of the ripple....doe again. She did the same routine with looking at me, and than running off to my left. I kept still for another 5 or so minutes and than grunted a couple times. Sure enough I hear a grunt, but can't tell where it was coming from. Than I heard steps in the softwood again, and this time I could see the legs of a deer moving through the softwood as well as the sun glistening off a main beam...PERFECT! I let him follow the path the other deer had taken, and when he came out of the ripple and picked his head up, I was able to settle the crosshairs on his chest and pull the trigger before he could get out of there. He took about three jumps to my right and piled up motionless. I couldn't believe it! I really didn't expect to connect with any deer in those conditions, much less a good quality buck. As I always do, I thanked the Lord for his provision and proceeded to dress the buck out and get him out of the woods...only about a half mile drag. I shot him at 0845 and had him in the truck at 1000. I think there was a thread on here earlier about what time most people shoot their deer. My grandfather always said that he shot most of his deer at about 0900. This one made me think of him (I always do actually), and also my uncle who passed this past spring. He was a great hunter who shot many 200 lb bucks, but eventually was taken by cancer. And of course a great President and great man in President Bush. We are fortunate to be able to do what we do hunting these amazing bucks. Every day is a gift that I'm grateful for.

8 Pt, 160 lbs

Congrats...what a beauty...a real blessing for sure!
    To visit VBBC website simply copy and paste the following link into your search; www.vtbiggestbucks.com/

Well done Mr Climber ! Very very nice buck ! Congrats !

Your boy is getting big. It wont be long before he is posing with his own bucks !
    Last edited by SportsmanNH; 12-05-2018 at 10:10 PM.

Nice late season buck. Nicely done!

Congrats on a nice late season buck!!

Congrats and nice pictures!

great buck and congrats!! I'm hoping the deer gods shine on my the same way this weekend.
    "The rich who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, these are the real enemies of the game" Theodore Roosevelt's the principals of the hunt.

Beauty! Congrats! My 7 pointer was killed on the 19th of November at 8:45 AM!
    May be something to that time of day!

Nice buck. Congrats.

Great Buck....nice when a plan comes together as it did for you. Almost like it was scripted lol!
    Life is short. Choose the mountains you are willing to die on carefully.

Good luck on the trail!