Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: O Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Mainewoods View Post
    I've switched all my safeties out to be left-hand as well. On the second gun, that damn little spring went flying into the air, and I figured it was lost forever, until I heard it plop in the dogs water bowl. What luck!!

Out of curiousity, what's the benefit of this?

The damn safety on this thing is loud! I can pop the safety on my Winchester bolt action and it barely makes a noise. This one isn't bad if you move it with one finger on each side but if you just push it through from one side, I was surprised at how loud it was.

Hoping to get out for the first time with it on Sunday.

[QUOTE=NorthMaine;618498]Out of curiousity, what's the benefit of this? /QUOTE]

I'm a lefty, so pushing the button to the right with my trigger finger, is the natural way to take the safety off, instead of having to reach under.

Dumb question maybe; What is the purpose of the o ring? A few years ago my action suddenly got a little tight. I never oil anything so figured it couldn't be from lack of lube as it's never seen any. Racked it 6 or 8 times and all was well again. I'm thinking now maybe the o ring came loose and went back in or shredded and fell off. It's been slick ever since.
    I love it when a plan comes together!

[QUOTE=Mainewoods;618500]
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthMaine View Post
    Out of curiousity, what's the benefit of this? /QUOTE]

I'm a lefty, so pushing the button to the right with my trigger finger, is the natural way to take the safety off, instead of having to reach under.
    I almost asked if you were a lefty, at which point it was obviously a dumb question haha. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Dumb question maybe; What is the purpose of the o ring? A few years ago my action suddenly got a little tight. I never oil anything so figured it couldn't be from lack of lube as it's never seen any. Racked it 6 or 8 times and all was well again. I'm thinking now maybe the o ring came loose and went back in or shredded and fell off. It's been slick ever since.
    The purpose of the o-ring is to provide a "soft" bearing surface between the action tube and the slide tube as they slide past eachother. Without the o-ring, the action tube and slide tube contact each other (metal to metal) and rattle.

Figured what the hell, Id take mine apart this morning for the fun of it. Barrel came off no problem, used a 3/16 punch. Getting the rails off the barrel was harder for me than getting the barrel off the receiver. This is what I found. Gun is only a few years old.

4B145FF7-C9A3-4751-9447-43631782381F.jpg

The groove was empty, o ring shoved into the end of the tube and all cut up. And here I thought it was pretty quiet as is. It should be silent now!

Everything went back together no problem. Used the Home Depot o ring posted above. Man, this thing is stiff to pump now haha. It’s silent but definitely way stiffer which is to be expected I guess when comparing a missing o ring to having one. I ended up using a little faucet grease as lube.