Thread: Upstate NY......Let it Snow!

Default Upstate NY......Let it Snow!

I’m going to keep this on the shorter side...but for some more details read DLukes latest 11/17 & 11/18 Journal.

Love this this trip and the planning for it for months, it’s part of the suspense and enjoyment for me really. The day finally arrived.....we had 3 guys staying in camp this year and the camp cook ( my wife ). Don’t cringe....Ask Dan how nice it was to come back to the cabin to hot meals and appetizers every night! Seriously...Carrie enjoys the deer camp atmosphere ALMOST as much as we do....loves being around it.

We pulled out early...3am for the 7 plus hour drive. I had to pick up a buck mount from a Central NY Taxidermy.....who by the way does amazing work. He’s not the biggest buck to have mounted but he’s got great memories tied to him.

We arrived about 1ish and Dan and Dave arrived about 2:30ish....and upstate ny greeted us with it’s first winter storm starting at 5pm and not ending till 7am the next morning.....10 plus inches of snow.....which by the way started a week of snow globe affect in which we didn’t see the blue skies or sun till the following Wednesday afternoon! By the time it was all said and done we probably were dealing with 14 plus inches.

The Food was awesome! Dinners included Chicken Broccoli ziti ...to die for; King size Chicken Parmesan, huge Rib Eyes for all; meatloaf; shepherds pie; and massive Bacon cheddar burgers. It’s a wonder we didn’t gain weight throughout the week.

Friday was spent checking stands and doing some driving around to scope public lands. Most of which we decided we wouldn’t even give a second look.

Opening Day was Saturday....I chose to venture out to the back of the property to sit in a stand that has always seemed to have at least some decent action on the opener. This would prove to be no different. By 7:30 I had a family of does and a spike that had fed through and I had a running buck out at the 160 yard range that wasn’t stopping and i didn’t try. Opening day is surreal, it’s a time of being part of something so much bigger than yourself. As I sat even in the early moments of day light the cracks and booms of rifles announcing deer season, from all over Allegany County the excitement of that first half hour is tough to put into words...it’s the moment and time we have all waited for.

It was about 10:30 when I saw two slow walking does make their way at the far end of the field I was overlooking. They call it Food Plot 3 but nothing has been planted here for over 7 years. I then spotted a buck trailing them..he was a slow walker and I was down on my knees to steady a possible shot.....Just as he was about to disappear I pulled the trigger and he mule kicked and took off......not a minute latter of course the bigger buck stepped out and took his proper place in trailing the two does ahead of him. I think he sent the smaller out as a decoy...smart buck.

I want to say this was by far the longest shot I’d ever taken at a deer it was all of a 160 yards. I made a great shot and literally didn’t make it 50 yards and he was piled up when I found him. For me this was a pretty awesome moment to have been able to pull that off. I hunt mostly in the north east and shots that far are typically not offered...it was a great little buck and a great opener

This was the only buck I’d take this week as we didn’t have doe permits for this zone; public land got pushed by large groups of hunters and it made you feel a bit uneasy with that many guys in the woods. We took it easy after Dan and Dave filled their tags on Sunday. We Had a Great time in camp and actually came home rested for the first time ever. Plans are already in the making for next year and the menu proves to be just as good. Below are some pictures to bring you along.

4EC7DF2C-CE40-40D5-B160-D90307521DB5.jpeg

1219617A-0A0D-464E-B24C-C018B45A4990.jpeg

020BDF63-5132-4765-95AD-5954E5CE7EE2.jpeg

I have more pictures I wanted to upload but for some reason the site won’t allow me to upload them. Hopefully I cant get the game pole picture up here because it’s a good one. I’ll try latter on. I failed on getting pictures along the way and hope to do a better job of that next year....including the food!
    Last edited by Turningleaf; 12-04-2018 at 01:12 PM.
    Life is short. Choose the mountains you are willing to die on carefully.

Good luck on the trail!

Awesome! Congrats- try replying to your own thread and uploading pics on the next post.
    Not all those who wander are lost. -Tolkien

who is who in the picture ????
    my camp my rules

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    who is who in the picture ????
    I’m the short pudgy one on the left, our buddy Dave is center, and DLuke is on the right.
    Life is short. Choose the mountains you are willing to die on carefully.

Good luck on the trail!

Very nice, Congrats!

Hell of a week boys. Congrats. Thanks for taking the time to write it up Tim.
    "The rich who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, these are the real enemies of the game" Theodore Roosevelt's the principals of the hunt.

Great story. Way to get the job done under tough conditions. Thank you for sharing.

Great hunting and even better, great food! Well almost better...

You guys all did very well. Congratulations! Looks like a fun time.