Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wool Jacket

Quote Originally Posted by DeerMeadowFarm View Post
    What I want is someone to make a set of light-weight, tight weave wool pants with neoprene rubber on the but and maybe patches at the knees too.
    I bought a pair of Korean war wool field pants to try out this year in warmer weather. They are a wicked tightly woven wool and good quality, however, you can't wear them if they might get wet because they will eventually get saturated, and when that happens they get loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainewoods View Post
    I bought a pair of Korean war wool field pants to try out this year in warmer weather. They are a wicked tightly woven wool and good quality, however, you can't wear them if they might get wet because they will eventually get saturated, and when that happens they get loud.
    How do they get loud when they're wet?

How do they get loud when they're wet?
    You beat me to that one. Never heard of wool getting loud.

I would have assumed that Korean wool pants would only go up to a 28" waist and 26" inseam.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikejd View Post
    You beat me to that one. Never heard of wool getting loud.

I would have assumed that Korean wool pants would only go up to a 28" waist and 26" inseam.
    I think he meant they were Korean WAR pants for US GI's not for the Koreans themselves...?

I think he meant they were Korean WAR pants for US GI's not for the Koreans themselves...?
    Hahaha, yeah, era 1951 field pants. Honestly, they are like a pair of slacks and even have a crease in them. Back then, they made there pants to come up high, also to the top of your belly for warmth. These pants are a wicked tight weave, so not pilly at all. When walking through the woods and they are dry, they are silent like normal heavier wool pants. When saturated from rain or wet snow, which was the case with me, the tight weave has no give, so when a branch snaps on it, it makes a snapping sound.

If anyone has ever worn those micro suede pants, it was very similar. Very quiet when dry, but once soaking wet, they were a bit noisy. Don't get me wrong, if there's warm temps, I think I'll love these pants and a little moisture just runs right off them.

Went w/ LLB Maine Guide Jac Shirt unlined over lined (Windstopper). Latter seemed noisy, although I'm sure it breaks-in. Like reviews state, it does run on the large side.

Worked fine but later on Ebay got lucky, found older like-new LLB Jac Shirt in green/black small buffalo check. I'm 99.9% sure Johnson WM made for LLB back then as it looks identical to their Jac Shirt w/ upper button at collar and black nylon on inside collar/neck area. Both are great jackets, however favor the LLB/Johnson WM version plus seems to have a better cut, especially in the chest/arms area when raising rifle. If I ever need to replace, I won't hesitate to get the same from Johnson WM.

Thanks KC for sharing H.N. Williams Store link w/ better deals on Johnson WM items.
    "Say when."

It is funny you say that. Several years ago I was at the Factory store in Bangor and they had the lined jac shirts. I want to say they were in the $60 range. I tried them on and they did not fit me very well. Seemed like a very odd cut to the chest area.

edit

I am wrong, It was the Maine Guide Parka.
    Last edited by JDK; 12-07-2018 at 09:55 AM.
    I've already told you more than I know.

I've been using the Cabelas Wooltimate for a few years now. It's kind of baggy, but is warm and stays dry.

FYI for anyone ordering from Beans, coupon SAVEBIG is 25% off, and if you spend $50, you get a $10 gift card. You can place a new order every 24hrs and get another gift card if you have multiple orders.

Semi related - every couple - three seasons I bring my woolies to the dry cleaners. Usually air dry a week or so afterwards. This year on the first day I really got hot with my beagle jacket it started to smell, almost like maple syrup. It would dry and be ok, but once it got wet from sweat or snow it really stunk. I thought it was that liner, so I almost cut it out mid season.

Anyway, I used my washer on the most delicate cycle in cold water with some scent free detergent. I could watch it through the top and see how it was very gentle, then hung dry. No shrinkage, no damage to pants or jacket. Scent free, etc. Doubt I’ll dry clean again.

On my bean guide wool pants the crotch area wore thin to the point you could see through it. So I hand sewed a fleece patch on the inside. It got me thinking, why hasnt all these guys that design wool pants have a water proof soft liner just in the ass area? How nice would that be to sit on a frozen snow covered stump and have a dry ass? Of course keeping it quiet would be important.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingman Cruncher View Post

It got me thinking, why hasnt all these guys that design wool pants have a water proof soft liner just in the ass area? How nice would that be to sit on a frozen snow covered stump and have a dry ass? Of course keeping it quiet would be important.
    Was thinking the same.