Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hang & Age Your Deer

We've always just let them hang as long as the temperatures will allow until we have time to process (hide on). As mentioned, inner loins come out immediately as they dry out quickly, but that's it.

Once we are ready to process, it gets quartered and all deboned making sure to separate all muscle groups into individual muscles. We don't typically do anything with the ribs or much of the neck, nor do we do much hamburg. Once deboned, everything gets trimmed to remove ALL fat and silver skin/connective tissue. Everything ends up as either steaks or chunks/cubes for stew meat or appetizer type bite sized pieces.

Kind of a side story but I bought/read the Benoit books this fall and threw together the marinade recipe that was in one of them. It was phenominal and I recommend it to anyone.

1/3 cup soy sauce
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    1 tablespoon minced onion
    1/2 tablespoon ginger
    2 garlic cloves
    1/2 cup oil
    2 bay leaves
    1/2 cup pineapple juice

soak 48 hours and grill

I had like 2 lbs of meat I threw in a big container and soaked it all good for the 48 hrs. When I went into the fridge, I would shake the container up. I did cook some up at like 24 hrs, but I don't think it was as good as the stuff that went the full duration.

I encourage you to try it and give it to folks who don't normally like venison or are skeptical to eat it. I brought some to work and everyone raved about it.

I wonder how that recipe would taste as a jerky marinade with the addition of cure?

These Guys have a pretty good YouTube channel regarding the processing and aging of venison.
    Bearded Butchers.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDL7u4rkoPU
    Last edited by M Kelly; 12-06-2018 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by M Kelly View Post
    These Guys have a pretty good YouTube channel regarding the processing and aging of venison.
    Bearded Butchers.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDL7u4rkoPU
    Looks like they do a pretty good job. Regardless of whether it's getting ground or not, I don't think I could in good faith leave all that silverskin and fat on hamburg meat. The little bit of hamburg we do end up making is just as clean and trimmed as steaks or anything else.