Thread: Antler Size

Default Antler Size

I've got a friend coming out here this month to hunt deer with me. He's never done it before, so he has to rely on my limited experience for guidance.

Scary, I know.

I was wondering about judging antler size. Since this will be fairly late in the season, is it safe to say that any deer with antlers probably has 3" or longer antlers, or are there still bucks with smaller antlers running about in mid-November?

Although I am no pro, antlers stop growing the end of August and beginning of Sept. Once velvet peels, it is what it is. I've seen antlers on spike bucks less than 3" during the season. My buddy shot a spike one year that 2 3/4" and 2". Luckily he was in Vermont and could tag it as an antlerless during the muzzleloader season. So, I would say be careful. I was always told, if you can see them over the ears, you should be safe.

If they are spikes, like Benny says, they could be smaller than 3". Not to common for them to be smaller than 3 and pretty tough to see if they are. A deer's ears are 6 or 7 inches long.

You are worried about little spikes? He will probably shoot a wallhanger! lol

Just tell your friend he needs to shoot one with at least one fork. That'll take care of the 3" issue.

We had a spotted fawn this year with 4" spikes. That was Labor Day weekend. I've never seen one with that long spikes and spotted.

Ha, you aren’t going to have worry about it. Your buddy will probably show up and shoot a corker the first morning. That’s beginners luck thing!
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."