Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Trap Line and Outdoor Pursuits

I do have grays in the area and would like for a few to check out the trap before the season closes.

State law says air rifles can be used for small game. I’m not sure if a furbearing species held in a trap would meet the wording of the law. I’ll have check into the question.
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman View Post
    I shot the fox with a .22LR. NH has a 24 hour check law and our climate is warm which means animals caught in footholds will be alive and healthy come time of trap check.

What?!!! Liver is good! The flavor is reminiscent for me by reminding me of my youth sitting at my uncles kitchen table.
    Nope...canít stomach the flavor nor the texture...been about 65 years since my Mom tried to force feed me some.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman View Post
    I do have grays in the area and would like for a few to check out the trap before the season closes.

State law says air rifles can be used for small game. I’m not sure if a furbearing species held in a trap would meet the wording of the law. I’ll have check into the question.
    Yes, please check into that. Also, .22 vs .177 caliber. To me, if the state is trying to be less offensive to non hunters/trappers then using an a quality air gun would be better than firing off a rifle or handgun and provide a lethal kill.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Mountains View Post
    Yes, please check into that. Also, .22 vs .177 caliber. To me, if the state is trying to be less offensive to non hunters/trappers then using an a quality air gun would be better than firing off a rifle or handgun and provide a lethal kill.
    Some guy has a YouTube vid where he tests a 177 cal air rifle on a couple of deer heads (removed from the bodies)
    He found that not only do the pellets out to 10 yards or so penetrate the skull and the whole brain.
    I once killed a backyard woodchuck with my Beeman 177 and it died in place with a 15 yard shot behind the eye.
    Don’t know how a bigger animal would react but I’m sure it would die soon if not immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by mowbizz View Post
    Nope...can’t stomach the flavor nor the texture...been about 65 years since my Mom tried to force feed me some.
    Liver is good as long as the bacon outnumbers the liver.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Liver is good as long as the bacon outnumbers the liver.
    Bacon makes everything good...except maybe liver.

I set two traps in the dark last night and checked them in the dark this morning. I picked up a large beaver and a medium sized muskrat. I took care of the pelts this evening and and am ready for what the traps bring me tomorrow.

Good to trap them before the storms coming on Sunday. Keep those beavers from freezing on Monday and Tuesday. Do them a favor.

Roger-

Quote Originally Posted by Grandkid View Post
    Good to trap them before the storms coming on Sunday. Keep those beavers from freezing on Monday and Tuesday. Do them a favor.

Roger-
    I was hoping to have my traps pulled yesterday to avoid the cold you speak of. I was surprised with a second beaver in a trap and now letting the traps sit another 3 days. The job should be done though I want to be thorough.

Yikes....deep snow and a high of 5 on monday! Not fun.

Roger-