Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Trap Line and Outdoor Pursuits

Default 2019 Trap Line and Outdoor Pursuits

The time has come for a new thread. Iím slightly behind this year in that I havenít dipped any traps though found their condition from last year will work.

In an odd set of circumstances I placed a MB 750 last night with a slide cable submersion set baited with aspen topped with Fox Hollow Damn-a-Dam lure.

I connected:
    76FD8E16-4A4D-481D-B3B2-10667FCF0E40.jpeg

The other day I brought out my muzzle loader and pleasantly surprised myself with a 60 yard shot. Seems after about 10 years of having this muzzleloader Iíve learned what it likes. Shot is 5 Oíclock touching red.

2CBB8D3E-732A-48C7-A1C2-17EBD3F54CFB.jpeg
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.

I had a good evening sit and shot a 110 pound doe today. In a odd set of circumstances she ended up 10 yards from my stand and looking right at me. I think the large tree and silhouette effect saved me. After the shot she ran into a beaver swamp and drop in knee high water. I didn’t have anything to document the situation with a photograph.

My bullet was a self poured Maxi-Hunter. Entered the left side perfectly, struck two ribs, lung, and liver before resting on the right flank. Luckily it stopped with out reaching the quarter. Was a slight quarter to shot though the bullet turned during impact.

6ABDBC0B-F010-40F8-8BD6-8EF6EA292F3A.jpeg

Congrats on the doe!

Congrats -

What does those weight?

Quote Originally Posted by sneaky_pete000 View Post
    Congrats -

What does those weight?
    Me fail english? Thats unpossible.

Let me translate.....Ourdoorsman, what is the weight of your hand poured slugs?

Quote Originally Posted by sneaky_pete000 View Post
    Me fail english? Thats unpossible.

Let me translate.....Ourdoorsman, what is the weight of your hand poured slugs?
    I took the time to weigh two with my gun powder scale and both weighed 335 grains. The recovered bullet weighed 200. The mold claims it pours a 350 grain bullet. This weight difference adds to my questioning how pure roof flashing actually is. Having shot 3 deer with self poured bullets I have noticed the bullets do not perform the same as a T/C manufactured Maxi-Hunter.

These self poured bullets seem to wander in the targets cavity and this recovered bullet actually sheared. T/C manufactured bullets haven’t done either of those behaviors.

Overall it isn’t a huge deal as they do work and are low cost.

I sat in yesterday’s location to see no deer today. I did snap a picture of the recovery location from the stand.

DF455D6C-698E-41AF-9F8F-C2CD913084E7.jpeg

Picture of the shearing I mentioned:

D19F8F0D-F519-4B9A-BDB9-02C69371FF0D.jpeg
    Last edited by outdoorsman; 11-09-2018 at 06:09 PM.

I was in my ladder stand yesterday and saw a buck 70-80 yards away near the phragmites line in the swamp. Half way between was a thick tangle preventing any possible shot A tree blocked his vitals for 99% of the minutes I saw him. He turned and walked back into the phragmites and vanished like a ghost.

Today I brought my climber and sat up in the tangle. No deer participated today.

666131FC-DC07-4076-9D0C-431547BA04FE.jpeg

I learned a new word today...never heard the swamp grasses called "phragmites" before...

Quote Originally Posted by mowbizz View Post
    I learned a new word today...never heard the swamp grasses called "phragmites" before...
    Phragmites is the very tall stuff, 8-10’, with the fluffy top. It’s a non-native invasive which grows fast with a correct soil conditions. It sucks to walk through.

Not to be confused with cat-tails.