Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Youth Weekend

Quote Originally Posted by 802-603hunter View Post
    I think at that point she had accepted the idea that she was going home empty handed. She seemed to do so without regret or disappointment.
    Its funny you say that - I had a moment where I realized my son's motivation to get one wasn't born from avoiding the disappointment. We had already accomplished the goal...have some fun. But it was fulfilling for me to realize how he was feeling. You probably felt pretty good to gauge her reaction too.

We butchered last night, and my youngest spent time with the new knife he bought himself "helping" us skin it. He was pumped. It was pitch black, 40 and pouring, just like it seems to be EVERY time I'm butchering a deer. But I still enjoyed it out there with the boys.

Great jobs guys!! Congrats to all!!

One of the young lads got a shot at a doe at about 80 yards and missed clean. My grand son was in the woods and only saw a coyote.

Quote Originally Posted by sneaky_pete000 View Post
    Its funny you say that - I had a moment where I realized my son's motivation to get one wasn't born from avoiding the disappointment. We had already accomplished the goal...have some fun. But it was fulfilling for me to realize how he was feeling. You probably felt pretty good to gauge her reaction too.

We butchered last night, and my youngest spent time with the new knife he bought himself "helping" us skin it. He was pumped. It was pitch black, 40 and pouring, just like it seems to be EVERY time I'm butchering a deer. But I still enjoyed it out there with the boys.
    I think a lot of hunters could benefit from taking your sons approach to gauging success.

My son learning the ropes:
    156AB646-A254-4769-973C-0F82F802699D.jpg

Thats awesome.

1. Great beer choice. I love that one. Have you tried the Long Trail ipa lately? Its not considered a "top shelf" premium beer, probably because its around $16 for a 12 pack, but hot damn is it good. Its my go-to lately. Look for the VT license plate on the can.
    2. Does that big cutting board fold, or just come apart in the middle? I'm tired of chasing little ones all around the table and need to upgrade. I have 2 more hunters coming online next year, so I think I need to "invest" in better butchering equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by mbVT View Post
    Nice everyone! Way to keep the tradition alive- thank you.
    X2

Great thread!
    Don't get no better than this, 'cept tomorrow when we get the big one, ayah...

Just got around to reading the rest of this thread....really great stuff...thanks all for sharing!
    To visit VBBC website simply copy and paste the following link into your search; www.vtbiggestbucks.com/

Congrats to all the kids! Sounds like it was a great year for youths. I took my neighbors 11 yr old son out for the NH youth weekend and we still hunted through the snow and rain Saturday. Jumped three does and got to follow a few tracks around. Sunday morning was rain again and we went back to the selective cut we jumped deer in the day before. Around 11, we were picking our way down a hillside and spotted two skippers out feeding on raspberries bushes. One stepped into the open broadside at 100 yds and he shot. Missed clean, the deer is still standing there looking around, had no clue where we were. Repeated that sequence for two more misses and the deer finally ran 20 yds further away, and stopped quartering away hard. I whispered take your time and squeeeeze as he shot again and that time he nailed it. It didn’t bleed but the bullet went in on such an angle that there was hair everywhere. We found it piled up within 60 yds, got one lung and the heart. Not bad for an offhand shot. Had to drag it about 3/4 of a mile through a selective cut with a lot of junk in the skid trails, so even for a little doe we got a decent workout. It tipped the scales at 77 lbs, the only other deer checked in there for youth weekend was a 65 lb doe. So I told him he got the biggest deer in town, he liked that haha. I was glad to see him get his first deer after going for a few years with no luck, then finally got it done still hunting in the rain. He was shooting a savage model 111, 30-06 with a 3-9x40 scope, 180 core lokts.