Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 79 of 79

Thread: Thread for ME bucks we didnít shoot, but someone else did.

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cape Cod
    Posts
    2,048

    Default

    Kingman,

    That's crazy and I didn't realize either that those deer migrated into Canada for the yards. Never even crossed my mind. Thanks for the enlightenment!

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingman Cruncher View Post
    Ill try and get some photos this winter from Canada. It’s really fasicinating. What was cool last year is I was headed in truck north of the st lawerance and drive up through Jackman middle of December. Jackman had enough snow to push the deer across the border and the migration trails along the road were crazy. As you come down from Jackman which I’m general is like 1k feet in elevation higher compared to say St Come, there was hardly a stitch of snow and there were hundreds and hundreds of deer in farm fields up there.

    Come late winter and spring in Jackman when the snow is melting enough for deer to get to some grass on lawns and fields, it’s nothing for my daughters and I to make the loop in and around town and Mooseriver and count 50-70 deer from the truck. It’s one of the most enjoyable things I like to do.
    It is cool to see all the deer in the fields between Armstrong and St. Come. Before the grass is showing, you see them in that area around the Zec Jaro and the snowmobile club in St. Theophile.
    Last edited by NorthMaine; 12-04-2018 at 12:12 PM.

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Here are some statistics from the Zec Jaro website from this year and previous.

    https://zecjaro.reseauzec.com/chasse-peche

    Here is the map of their territory:

    https://www.reseauzec.com/carte/zecjaro

    Based on what I have seen historically, I really don't believe they typically get the caliber of bucks that we do on the US side, simply because the deer don't typically stay there. There are some deer and probably some that cross the border back and forth, but I htink most of the deer stay on the US side, then cross to winter.

    In Canada, you have a lot of these "Zec's" and "Pourvoirie's". You don't have all the free land to hunt/fish like you do in Maine.

    A Zec is like private land that you pay to get access, while a Pourvoirie is like an outfitter.
    Last edited by NorthMaine; 12-04-2018 at 12:38 PM.

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Windham, ME - Hunt well north of here!
    Posts
    3,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mainewoods View Post
    Kingman,

    That's crazy and I didn't realize either that those deer migrated into Canada for the yards. Never even crossed my mind. Thanks for the enlightenment!
    One area I hunted 3rd week by like Tuesday my buddy and I had confirmed about 10 deer in one pocket of woods we like to hunt had already left Maine. It’s typically the younger ones and moms that go first, but unfortunately that lures some of the bucks. Really though, the difference to them is nothing but the border cut. Seasons align up there in that zone kind of like ours, but the whole yarding area and part of that region is considered a controlled zone, but I’m never clear what it means. No does I think with a gun, but might be something else.

    Someday we should talk about the moose moving back and forth on the border to the piles of food and the salt licks as far as the eye can see. The numbers of moose they pull out from their season right on the border itself is staggering.

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Windham, ME - Hunt well north of here!
    Posts
    3,145

    Default

    This is a good time for me to pause with all the talking and go hunting. 5 days left...

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingman Cruncher View Post
    One area I hunted 3rd week by like Tuesday my buddy and I had confirmed about 10 deer in one pocket of woods we like to hunt had already left Maine. It’s typically the younger ones and moms that go first, but unfortunately that lures some of the bucks. Really though, the difference to them is nothing but the border cut. Seasons align up there in that zone kind of like ours, but the whole yarding area and part of that region is considered a controlled zone, but I’m never clear what it means. No does I think with a gun, but might be something else.

    Someday we should talk about the moose moving back and forth on the border to the piles of food and the salt licks as far as the eye can see. The numbers of moose they pull out from their season right on the border itself is staggering.
    The number of moose may be staggering but the again, the quality is nothing like what we get. They never get the size of bulls that we get. They shoot alot of fork horns and small 2-3 year olds. They never get the mature 50"+ moose.

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,922

    Default

    Students at the University of Maine at Fort Kent radio collared deer wintering in Allagash. After breakup, they found several does that traveled north and crossed the border above Glazier Lake and then made their way to somewhere across the border from Frenchville. I believe about a 40ish mile trip.

    Our retired Regional Biologist told me numerous times that deer from as far away as Rocky Brook yard in Portage and Ashland. That also is about 30-40 miles.
    I've already told you more than I know.

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Central Ct
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    Students at the University of Maine at Fort Kent radio collared deer wintering in Allagash. After breakup, they found several does that traveled north and crossed the border above Glazier Lake and then made their way to somewhere across the border from Frenchville. I believe about a 40ish mile trip.

    Our retired Regional Biologist told me numerous times that deer from as far away as Rocky Brook yard in Portage and Ashland. That also is about 30-40 miles.
    Regarding Ashland, heading back to Ct in January a few year ago, We watched 15+ deer crossing the frozen river about a mile before taking the left over the bridge to the Town
    of Ashland. Pretty impressive.

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Addison County Vermont
    Posts
    684

    Default

    great thread very interesting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •