Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Thread for ME bucks we didnít shoot, but someone else did.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthMaine View Post
    Where did you get those photos KC?

I would venture to say that the vast mojority of deer on the North side of the South Branch and bordered by the Golden Rd. to the East go to Armstrong. Those between Bald Mtn. and the river probably go to Pittston Farms, and those south of Bald come to town.
    My friend in St. Come.

Thats what I’ve always been told more or less. Bald Mt and sandy stream mt make a pretty good boundary line.

You ever see that camper 3rd and 4th week on KD rd? Those guys are interesting to talk to as they live in Quebec and come down here for two weeks and have for 40 years. I talk to them every year. It’s cool to listen to their perspective living on the other side.
    Last edited by Kingman Cruncher; 12-04-2018 at 06:42 AM.

Great deer.

We probably should do a better job managing Maine's DWAs and strive for more areas that support smaller numbers rather than fewer megayards. But hey, carry on.
    I've already told you more than I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingman Cruncher View Post
    My friend in St. Come.

Thats what I’ve always been told more or less. Bald Mt and sandy stream mt make a pretty good boundary line.

You ever see that camper 3rd and 4th week on KD rd? Those guys are interesting to talk to as they live in Quebec and come down here for two weeks and have for 40 years. I talk to them every year. It’s cool to listen to their perspective living on the other side.
    Nice. What's his name, I may know him. I played hockey in St. Come for like 8 or 9 years, so my family and I know quite a few people up there. It's no surprise why the Zec in Armstrong is so succesful.

I see them every year, but have never talked to them. I always thought it was just one guy, it's more than one? They were there again this year. They always seem to go behind the gate on that new road, not sure if they are succesful or not. I don't know their names, so I've never been able to check the Bishop's list.

I know when my Dad was working for a different logging outfit, they had a guy from Canada working with them that always used to hunt the South Branch. Before they rerouted the road, and the NMW checkpoint, he did real well heading towards the river, like miles 11-12. Now the "new" road goes basically right through where he used to hunt haha. If I remember, it used to be the section that had all the "ledges" signs. I think I actually preferred it before the NMW checkpoint as the gate was almost always open if you wanted to go that far (most of the time we don't). It sucks to have to pay $20 a day to use like 2-3 miles of road...

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    Great deer.

We probably should do a better job managing Maine's DWAs and strive for more areas that support smaller numbers rather than fewer megayards. But hey, carry on.
    I could get on board with that.

It sucks to have to pay $20 a day to use like 2-3 miles of road...[/QUOTE]

Get a Fall Pass from NMW. Take extra pass papers and fill them out in advance. Takes about 30 seconds to go thru. Fall pass is 70 bucks I think. Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by groundtender View Post
    It sucks to have to pay $20 a day to use like 2-3 miles of road...
    Get a Fall Pass from NMW. Take extra pass papers and fill them out in advance. Takes about 30 seconds to go thru. Fall pass is 70 bucks I think. Just a thought[/QUOTE]

Ya, I've always been at that inbetween amount of times through. Usually it's a time or two in the spring, then another time or two in the fall, so it hasn't been adventageous to do so. Luckily this year due to the snowfal they closed the gate the 13th.

If I lived up there, I would definately get a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthMaine View Post
    Nice. What's his name, I may know him. I played hockey in St. Come for like 8 or 9 years, so my family and I know quite a few people up there. It's no surprise why the Zec in Armstrong is so succesful.

I see them every year, but have never talked to them. I always thought it was just one guy, it's more than one? They were there again this year. They always seem to go behind the gate on that new road, not sure if they are succesful or not. I don't know their names, so I've never been able to check the Bishop's list.

I know when my Dad was working for a different logging outfit, they had a guy from Canada working with them that always used to hunt the South Branch. Before they rerouted the road, and the NMW checkpoint, he did real well heading towards the river, like miles 11-12. Now the "new" road goes basically right through where he used to hunt haha. If I remember, it used to be the section that had all the "ledges" signs. I think I actually preferred it before the NMW checkpoint as the gate was almost always open if you wanted to go that far (most of the time we don't). It sucks to have to pay $20 a day to use like 2-3 miles of road...
    I will pm you.

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    Great deer.

Spot on. I've been saying that for years because the big yards ain't coming back.
    I love it when a plan comes together!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingman Cruncher View Post
    Natural migration to a large deer yard. Itís pretty impressive in the winter and spring seeing hundreds of deer.
    Itís pretty much all down hill from Maine, farm land, manicured conifer forest, packed trails, etc.

Its no secret to why the Benoitís historically and lots of guys nowadays head up to the bordering us neighbor townships. Once the snow starts, the deer start as they travel great distances. Older studies showed Maine deer would travel up to 60 miles to get there. If you look at the Maine deer harvest maps itís nonsecret where the deer travel. There are typically 50-60 reported kills on the harvest map by 3-4 townships annually. Then you look at some of the other townships, 2 deer, 1 deer, etc.

My friend from across the border said one year they identified a collared deer from NY state in the Quebec yard.
    This whole thread has been a real education. Our deer yards in Vermont are relatively so small and scattered that we see nothing even approaching this in terms of a migration. It must be quite something to see when it happens so suddenly and seemingly at all once. In a year when it is early like this and coincides with the rut it has to be a wild situation. The bucks must go absolutely crazy with all of the doe gathered into large groups in the prime of rutting activity!?
    To visit VBBC website simply copy and paste the following link into your search; www.vtbiggestbucks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vtbuck223 View Post
    This whole thread has been a real education. Our deer yards in Vermont are relatively so small and scattered that we see nothing even approaching this in terms of a migration. It must be quite something to see when it happens so suddenly and seemingly at all once. In a year when it is early like this and coincides with the rut it has to be a wild situation. The bucks must go absolutely crazy with all of the doe gathered into large groups in the prime of rutting activity!?
    Ill try and get some photos this winter from Canada. It’s really fasicinating. What was cool last year is I was headed in truck north of the st lawerance and drive up through Jackman middle of December. Jackman had enough snow to push the deer across the border and the migration trails along the road were crazy. As you come down from Jackman which I’m general is like 1k feet in elevation higher compared to say St Come, there was hardly a stitch of snow and there were hundreds and hundreds of deer in farm fields up there.

Come late winter and spring in Jackman when the snow is melting enough for deer to get to some grass on lawns and fields, it’s nothing for my daughters and I to make the loop in and around town and Mooseriver and count 50-70 deer from the truck. It’s one of the most enjoyable things I like to do.