Thread: Last minute shotgun hunt

Default Last minute shotgun hunt

I went out with my daughter and nephew to try one last time, being Sunday at 2pm.
    The wind sucked!!! We drove around through all the spots I know.... nothing.
    Then, we spot a flock of 5-6 birds, all toms, fighting!!!
    We put the move on them setting up in the woods. After 20 minutes, I'm looking around
    thinking, "it's too windy for them to come in the woods..." So I slowly walk to within 40 yards of the field
    and they are still there!!! I have my daughter and nephew belly crawl to the stonewall, on the field edge, behind a bush.
    the wind made all this happen. Taylor tells my nephew that they are too far for her, so he pulls up the H&R single shot 10ga!!!! 3 1/2" #5's.
    made a 50+ yards shot. What a hunt!!
    Jeff_fall-bird.JPG
    There comes a time in the life of every program when it is necessary to shoot the engineers.

FYI, the shotgun used was the gun I hydo-dipped last March.
    There comes a time in the life of every program when it is necessary to shoot the engineers.

Good deal. The flock I saw was about 70 yards, and I only had a 20 gauge, so I would have needed to close the distance.

I know what you meant about yesterday. I packed it in around 11:30 because the weather was getting crazy.

Never knew anybody to use a 10 ga in the field. Its always been a sort of range novelty, and a rare one at that. Must be expensive to feed.

Way to get it done! Yeah, you don't hear about 10ga's anymore. Good to see it at work!