Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acorns?

Quote Originally Posted by dennisg34 View Post
    You still have skeeters???

I myself, have not seen many acorns. I watch the squirrels take them right out of the trees during my sits. The buck I took was eating mushrooms, and his stomach was full of greens and zero acorns. A doe I almost shot as well was eating mushrooms and only greens.
    I have seen the mushrooms in my yard which are numerous (because of the damp weather) nipped off with just the stem left.
    Woods are loaded too but haven’t seen evidence of deer munching them although they likely are eating them.
    They’re also nipping fresh shoots. I have a few birch stumps from last winters damage that are sprouting whips and the tops are all nipped off.

Quote Originally Posted by dennisg34 View Post
    You still have skeeters???

I myself, have not seen many acorns. I watch the squirrels take them right out of the trees during my sits. The buck I took was eating mushrooms, and his stomach was full of greens and zero acorns. A doe I almost shot as well was eating mushrooms and only greens.
    Well, we did when I wrote that, but not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by mowbizz View Post
    I have seen the mushrooms in my yard which are numerous (because of the damp weather) nipped off with just the stem left.
    Woods are loaded too but haven’t seen evidence of deer munching them although they likely are eating them.
    They’re also nipping fresh shoots. I have a few birch stumps from last winters damage that are sprouting whips and the tops are all nipped off.

They'll also be eating any fallen maple leaves which still have carbs in them until they lose their color. Easy pickings for now.

I was thinking maple leaves as well. Is there a color preference? Seriously.....red sweeter than yellow?

Quote Originally Posted by JJM6 View Post
    I was thinking maple leaves as well. Is there a color preference? Seriously.....red sweeter than yellow?
    I have seen them eat yellow more than any other color...just my experience