Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acorns?

Default Acorns?

Looking like zero red or white oak acorns in my spots. Kind of strange.

Had a few reds here but most are cleaned up now.

No acorns in Bow.

If you can find acorns you’ll probably be in deer heaven. None here in the western lakes region either.

I haven't been out since the last week of July..had a hip issue and then pneumonia for a month but my buddy who is retired and hunts every where said no acorns in the Seacoast area. He said a couple of white oaks had a few and if you have apples they are hitting them as they fall!
    Friday morning will be my first sit of the year and Eds is loaded with Oaks....we will see!!!

I'm not in NH, but I can see it from here, so maybe my report is close enough?

I just took a 1.5 mile walk around the point of a dry, ledgy, oak covered hill and the ONLY acorns I saw were from last year. I had a hard time believing it, so I picked them up and squeezed them to be sure. My yard is usually covered in them right now, and I don't see any. If we have a hard winter (after 2 consecutive easy ones) it could get ugly out there.

By the way, I will NOT be going back into the woods until we get a frost. That is the worst I've seen the mosquitoes in a long time. Nasty.

Loaded with acorns down here in NJ.

Earlier this autumn the oaks were starting to drop and it looked like possibly another banner year for acorns(3 in a row?), but after being out last weekend, looks like they are cleaned up. Couldn't find one on the ground. Thinking that with the boom in the squirrel population and the ungodly amount of turkeys around, what few that hit the ground were vacuumed up by them. Apples seem to be abundant.

Quote Originally Posted by sneaky_pete000 View Post
    By the way, I will NOT be going back into the woods until we get a frost. That is the worst I've seen the mosquitoes in a long time. Nasty.
    You still have skeeters???

I myself, have not seen many acorns. I watch the squirrels take them right out of the trees during my sits. The buck I took was eating mushrooms, and his stomach was full of greens and zero acorns. A doe I almost shot as well was eating mushrooms and only greens.