Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newspaper clip of a BIG buck

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Hunter View Post
    I can't imagine dragging that hog out of the woods!
    Here's the ironic part. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I don't think Jimmy weighs more than 120lbs. He's a little dude.

I like to hunt alone, all the time. If I shot a buck like that, I would be really happy to have friends nearby!
    Born to hunt, forced to work.

Love it....incredible buck!
    To visit VBBC website simply copy and paste the following link into your search; www.vtbiggestbucks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sneaky_pete000 View Post
    Here's the ironic part. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I don't think Jimmy weighs more than 120lbs. He's a little dude.
    He's right up about even in the photo and the head and neck look almost bigger than him...huge!
    To visit VBBC website simply copy and paste the following link into your search; www.vtbiggestbucks.com/

Damn, that is a heavyweight! When I first started hunting Maine in 1984, before it was all chopped into grids of land by roads, we used to see tracks that would make you stop and just stare at them. Made your heart start pounding before you ever got started on a track. Within 5 years lots of roads were put in and deer yards were flattened. We have never seen the huge tracks that we occasionally saw back then since, except for one deer in the mid 90's. Thanks for posting. I'll look in all my MASTC books when I get a minute and see if I can find the deer in it. Looks like it may have made the minimum score, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Browseline View Post
    Damn, that is a heavyweight! When I first started hunting Maine in 1984, before it was all chopped into grids of land by roads, we used to see tracks that would make you stop and just stare at them. Made your heart start pounding before you ever got started on a track. Within 5 years lots of roads were put in and deer yards were flattened. We have never seen the huge tracks that we occasionally saw back then since, except for one deer in the mid 90's. Thanks for posting. I'll look in all my MASTC books when I get a minute and see if I can find the deer in it. Looks like it may have made the minimum score, at least.

Would he have had to submit a form to be entered in it? If so, I doubt he'll be in there.

Damn, that is a heavyweight! When I first started hunting Maine in 1984, before it was all chopped into grids of land by roads, we used to see tracks that would make you stop and just stare at them. Made your heart start pounding before you ever got started on a track. Within 5 years lots of roads were put in and deer yards were flattened. We have never seen the huge tracks that we occasionally saw back then since, except for one deer in the mid 90's.
    You hit the nail squarely on the head.
    I've already told you more than I know.

Do you think the big ones are still out there? Just less of them due to the cutting of the deer yards and increased access due to more roads? What’s the bigger factor more roads and access or cutting of the deer yards?. I still believe they are out there dying of old age where I hunt, and I find bigger sheds then we ever shoot!LOL
    Last edited by longbow; 10-11-2018 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Do you think the big ones are still out there? Just less of them due to the cutting of the deer yards and increased access due to more roads? What’s the bigger factor more roads and access or cutting of the deer yards?. I still believe they are out there dying of old age where I hunt, and I find bigger sheds then we ever shoot!LOL

I think there are a few really big deer still out there where we hunt, but not nearly as many as when we first started hunting Maine. It doesn't snow near as much as it used to and sometimes no snow all season, so it's harder to tell what is out there. All the roads, cutting of most all the sizeable trees, and huge clear cuts that leave you hunting in mostly brush, makes it hard to get near one. Cutting in the deer yards and I mean every single one we know of, leaves the deer about dead by spring. Probably a combination of all these things, I would guess, but who knows? If you look in some of the MASTC books of the 80's and 90's you will see a sharp decline in big racks and body weight in deer in Western and Northern Maine since then. I still love hunting in Maine, regardless of all that has changed there. There is always the possibility of coming face to face with a 300 lb buck and that's not going to happen hunting around my house in VT.

I still love hunting in Maine, regardless of all that has changed there. There is always the possibility of coming face to face with a 300 lb buck and that's not going to happen hunting around my house in VT.
    I think this is a really important thought Browse. I hear a lot of guys complain that Maine "aint what it used to be". I used to prioritize the probability of seeing "a deer" over the possibility of seeing a "big deer". There was a point in my life where that switch flipped - and it caused me to learn new tactics and hunt new places. Ive had more fun the last few years, despite significantly lower sightings, than I have in years.