Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old big VT buck

That's really cool, Browse. I bet your grandfather would be pretty impressed to see all the big bucks his grandson has shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Vtbuck223 View Post
    Attachment 21084
    Browse...this isn't what you are looking for...but in this article from the United Opinion in Bradford...your grandfather is mentioned as having got a buck in 1921. Not sure about the history of that paper...but if you were able to search The years around which your grandfather got that big buck...there probably would be some mention of it.
    Thanks for this Vtbuck223. Curtis Smiley also sent me this and some more clips but nothing about a big buck. I tried earlier to find stuff like this but my computer skills are pretty limited. I had heard that my grandfather shot a lot of deer even though he preferred fishing to hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by amclimber View Post
    That's really cool, Browse. I bet your grandfather would be pretty impressed to see all the big bucks his grandson has shot!
    Thanks. I never got to know him very well as he died when I was somewhere around 7 years old, I think. My other grandfather died when I was 2 years old. Had they both lived until I was at least 15 years old, I'm sure I would have pestered them asking about their hunting and fishing stories. My grandfather never had much money so I was surprised that he had the deer mounted. No one in my family took many pictures back then either as that was expensive too.

Quote Originally Posted by Browseline View Post
    Thanks for this Vtbuck223. Curtis Smiley also sent me this and some more clips but nothing about a big buck. I tried earlier to find stuff like this but my computer skills are pretty limited. I had heard that my grandfather shot a lot of deer even though he preferred fishing to hunting.
    Browse,
    The issue here is that what we are looking for probably isn't available via computer (at least not yet). It is probably out there but in a different form...like a physical archive or even microfilm...or someone's attic. The local library, town clerk, or historical societies in that area are the best bet other than someone's attic. That buck is truly impressive...and if It was my grandfather I would also want to know what happened to it. You don't throw something like that away...so it has to be out there. I will keep my eyes and ears open for you as I am sure everyone else here will.

There is a bunch of other references to your grandfather and Curtis probably already shared some of them with you. Looks like he was very connected to the land as so many of our ancestors were...farming and lumbering. There is a mention of him and his wife looking for blueberries with friends. The clip below is from 1923 and he would have been around 43 years old at that time.

C Banker Browse GF 1923.jpg
    Last edited by Vtbuck223; 10-11-2018 at 12:17 PM.
    To visit VBBC website simply copy and paste the following link into your search; www.vtbiggestbucks.com/

Oops...meant 43 years old...as he was born about 1880....will edit previous post.
    Last edited by Vtbuck223; 10-11-2018 at 12:15 PM.
    To visit VBBC website simply copy and paste the following link into your search; www.vtbiggestbucks.com/

That's a stud buck, and an amazing story!
    "License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.
    "

Thatís an impressive set of antlers. It would be nice to find out what happened to them.