Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bear Trapping - Third times the charm

Thanks for posting. I didn't know trapping was still allowed. Great pics and write up. Congrats!

Very nice bear. Congrats! I have the exact same Sears boat. lol Great for throwing in the back of my pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Awesome. Like someone else said I think this is the 1st bear trapping thread I've seen on here. That's a big boy. Dumb question maybe, but what do you do if the bear in you trap isn't one you want? Seems like it could get dicey. Congrats.
    The snare cant close smaller than 2.5in per law to avoid cubs and other nontarget animals. You could increase that but basically the bear in the trap '"is" the bear you want. I have seen a few methods of releasing bears but none of them seem that easy. One involves a sheet of plywood with a cut out in the bottom and the others mostly use ropes to tie up other sharp parts of the bear while you get the snare off.
    Last edited by Shooter Buck; 09-14-2018 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter Buck View Post
    There snare cant close smaller than 2.5in per law to avoid cubs and other nontarget animals. You could increase that but basically the bear in the trap '"is" the bear you want. I have seen a few methods of releasing bears but none of them seem that easy. One involves a sheet of plywood with a cut out in the bottom and the others mostly use ropes to tie up other sharp parts of the bear while you get the snare off.
    Oh wow.... and I thought getting a skunk out of a havaheart trap was dicey!!!
    "The rich who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, these are the real enemies of the game" Theodore Roosevelt's the principals of the hunt.

Nice bear and great pics. Congrats!

Awesome bear! Congrats.

I see that you hung a 5-gallon bucket against a tree. My set up is the same, though I don't cut the hole in the side.

I'm still looking to break 200 lbs on a bear. You must be thrilled.

That’s a very nice bear, congrats. That’s the first time I’ve seen a write up on trapping them, interesting stuff.

Congratulations. Nice bear and good story.
    Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    National Rifle Association