Thread: I put in for some time off.

Default I put in for some time off.

After a spring with illness that burned up sick and vacation time I am able to have a hunting vacation this year.

I put in for three days during the Thanksgiving week so I have from Friday the 16th to the opening day of Mass shotgun. So now I am trying to figure out what would be the best course of action as far as going on a trip for myself.

I am thinking of a hunt somewhere in the southeast such as North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, maybe Florida. Then again, a two day drive can put me close to or across the Mississippi River. I wish I had the vacation time like I did in the past. I could do a real DIY Wyoming antelope hunt. But that is not the case for me.

So. What are your Thanksgiving week plans, hunt wise? Thanks

That's prime time to be up in Maine deer hunting. That's where I will be.

I guess you could go to the south east and hunt, if you just want to shoot some deer and have a nice trip. Not going to see a 300 lb old mossy horn though.

I've been putting in a LOT of vacation time, much to the wife's chagrin, for hunting. Just hunted in NH last week, taking next week off for Maine bear.

I too am taking off the three days of Thanksgiving week. Got an old friend coming out here to hunt deer with me on my property.

Longbow is right - a trip to Maine for deer would be ideal.

I will be in NY that week for the opening week if rifle season, it’s a tradition. If I was looking to travel that week, I’d probably go to Kentucky. The hunting in Kentucky is phenomenal. The Carolinas might still be in tough shape from the hurricane.
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

Quote Originally Posted by Escout711 View Post
    I will be in NY that week for the opening week if rifle season, it’s a tradition. If I was looking to travel that week, I’d probably go to Kentucky. The hunting in Kentucky is phenomenal. The Carolinas might still be in tough shape from the hurricane.
    Do tell. Can you do rifle in Kentucky? What makes it so good?

Quote Originally Posted by Igloo View Post
    Do tell. Can you do rifle in Kentucky? What makes it so good?
    Rifle hunting allowed, tons of public land, high deer population, chance for a real good buck, and over the counter tags. I haven’t been yet, but it’s on my bucket list. A couple of the guys on here have been very successful there.
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

It's the most wonderful time of the year. Having been at Ruger for almost 25 years I get 5 weeks of vacation. Usually end up with 2 during hunting season. This year I have the rifle opener in NH(Nov.14th) until the Monday after Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving week has been pretty good to me as a rule. This will also be our first year of Deer Camp at the new Camp. Best of luck everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Escout711 View Post
    Rifle hunting allowed, tons of public land, high deer population, chance for a real good buck, and over the counter tags. I haven’t been yet, but it’s on my bucket list. A couple of the guys on here have been very successful there.
    You can get there in a day's driving time. I have driven through the Bluegrass State in the past and was kind of impressed. I saw a lot of farmland. It reminded me of NE Connecticut thirty or more years ago but on a grander scale.

Hmm. Never thought of that place as a DIY hunt.

Good hunting in KY. Check out Daniel Boone National Forest and The Big South Fork River and Recreation area. Tons of wilderness area and some good bucks. I believe KY has 4 different deer zones with one offering multiple deer including anterless.
    You’ll also find wild boar in the BSF recreation area.
    Check out their web sites.
    Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    National Rifle Association

I have hunted Western KY for the last 6 yrs....it’s about 21 hrs driving. We have had great success, usually going at least 3 for 4 on mature bucks. Hunting the rut with a rifle really evens things up. Many of the public areas that we hunt near are on some sort of draw. This is the Land Between the Lakes area. We are lucky enough to have made friends with a few folks out there and hunt their farms. Definitely worth a look but tough to drive if you only have a few days. Good luck where ever you go.