Thread: Base for entertainment center.

Default Base for entertainment center.

I've been working on this on and off the last couple weeks when it is raining or too hot for me to do stuff outside. I still have the top section to build, which will have bookshelves on each side and the top and an opening for the TV in the center. It is 78" long. When done it will be painted. Looking forward to some cooler weather so I can get out in the woods and look around a little.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice. Cooler weather will be nice.

Looks sharp, nice even reveals. How do you deal with the humidity when you’re doing this sort of work? Do you store your materials somewhere other than your garage?

Quote Originally Posted by 802-603hunter View Post
    Looks sharp, nice even reveals. How do you deal with the humidity when you’re doing this sort of work? Do you store your materials somewhere other than your garage?
    I use a lot of plywood for the base sides, dividers and shelves. The facings and beading are all rock maple so they don't soak up much moisture and are tough to mar or dent. Drawers and drawer faces are poplar. It would be pretty hard to work with pine in this weather. I give myself a 1/8th inch reveal all the way around and the flat panels in the doors have room to expand using tiny soft rubber beads for spacers. I make the drawers smaller than the distance between the full extension drawer slides. The slides have a flexible tab where they are mounted to the sides of the carcass so I pull them towards the drawer. If the drawer expands they still have room to work. In the past I've seen kitchens built by companies where they left little to nothing for reveals on the doors and drawers. In July or August with all the humidity none of the doors would shut if you could get them open in the first place. I've seen that happen quite a few times so I always leave plenty of reveal. I also like the 128 degree Blum self closing hinges as there is plenty of adjustment in and out, up and down and back and forth. I also use a lot of waterproof glue and screws When I was working all the time I would either refuse to lay a hardwood or pine floor from May to September or I would make the owner aware that it would open up during the winter months.

Awesome work! The attention to detail shines through with that furniture.
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.

Very nice work!! Looks awesome

Sounds like you have some good systems in place, thanks for the insight.

That is some fine work there sir.
    I love it when a plan comes together!