Thread: Setting Cams

Default Setting Cams

Saturday I ventured up to camp to setup 5 of my cameras. I headed to the area of my tree stand first. I have shot quite a few deer out of this stand. I was pretty surprised when I got within eye sight of the stand and a doe and a fawn stood up and took off. I was glad to see deer in the area. I hung two camera's near the stand. After that I headed up on the ridge above my stand. There is a spot up there that is a small saddle. Every time I have been through there in the snow, I have seen deer tracks through the saddle. I decided to hang some cameras in this area. Once the other cameras were up I decided to head back because the bugs were so nasty! On my walk back I found this:

rps20180717_073103_216.jpg

This was located on the very top of the ridge, about 150 yards from where I set up cameras. I love finding old stands like this. I'd love to know whose it was, and if they ever had any luck out of it. If they were willing to haul this wood all the way to the top of the mountain, they must have had a good feeling about that spot!

It felt so good to get back in the woods. Really, it won't be long now. Time to start getting in shape for hunting season!
    Born to hunt, forced to work.

That saddle sounds like a great spot...but so does your location nearby. Getting out in the woods always feels good...but the bugs do take some of the fun out of a summer scout.
    To visit VBBC website simply copy and paste the following link into your search; www.vtbiggestbucks.com/

Right in amongst the Beech trees... Nice spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Vtbuck223 View Post
    That saddle sounds like a great spot...but so does your location nearby. Getting out in the woods always feels good...but the bugs do take some of the fun out of a summer scout.
    We will find out when I check the cameras!

Quote Originally Posted by Vtbuck223 View Post
    I checked these yesterday. The saddle is the hot spot. I had 17 videos in a month. One was a sow and 2 cubs. The rest were an even mix of buck and doe.

My stand spot had a bear, doe and fawn, and a small buck. The acorns are falling around my stand. All my videos in the spot were from the last 5 days.

picked and moved two cams yesterday. one on a field edge with 300 pics in 2 weeks. It had a bunch of doe and fawn, one spike, and one barely legal 4 pointer. On my way in to the 2nd I set the other cam up in a little patch of oaks that are starting to drop, and continued onto the 2nd cam which was about 200 yards away. Got within 70 yard of my cam and had a deer casually jump and head toward my cam. Figure it'd be cool if I got him on cam since his head looked funny for the 2 sec I saw him. Got 100 pics, all but probably 30 were racked bucks all during daylight. I think 3-4 of the same bucks passing through several different times. . . . . Including the one I jumped

Keep an eye on the time stamp

best image hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Hunter View Post
    Saturday I ventured up to camp to setup 5 of my cameras. I headed to the area of my tree stand first. I have shot quite a few deer out of this stand. I was pretty surprised when I got within eye sight of the stand and a doe and a fawn stood up and took off. I was glad to see deer in the area. I hung two camera's near the stand. After that I headed up on the ridge above my stand. There is a spot up there that is a small saddle. Every time I have been through there in the snow, I have seen deer tracks through the saddle. I decided to hang some cameras in this area. Once the other cameras were up I decided to head back because the bugs were so nasty! On my walk back I found this:

rps20180717_073103_216.jpg

This was located on the very top of the ridge, about 150 yards from where I set up cameras. I love finding old stands like this. I'd love to know whose it was, and if they ever had any luck out of it. If they were willing to haul this wood all the way to the top of the mountain, they must have had a good feeling about that spot!

It felt so good to get back in the woods. Really, it won't be long now. Time to start getting in shape for hunting season!
    Finding olds stands really bring back memories.
    I have been in the same hunting club here in NJ since I was 17 (My beard is gray now, so its been a few years)
    My father was in the same club and they have been leasing the same property as well.
    I love finding old wooden stands, it reminds me of the old members who built them and always triggers a story.
    Some good, some bad. But always fun to look back on.