Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bear Bait resources?

Is corn a legal bait for bears? I would suspect deer would be on it also, but would that require a separate baiting permit? Did not see any info on F&G site , will try and call tomorrow. If anyone has any info on this I would appreciate it. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by j563 View Post
    Is corn a legal bait for bears? I would suspect deer would be on it also, but would that require a separate baiting permit? Did not see any info on F&G site , will try and call tomorrow. If anyone has any info on this I would appreciate it. thanks!
    Corn is legal for bears. Be sure to speak with a CO in regards to doing what you want to do and how to file the permit (if not on your own land).

I say this because you can not set bait for a species before a season opens for the species you want to pursue. Hence, bear opens 9/1, deer opens 9/15. By baiting bear 9/1 then turning it into a deer bait 9/15 could be argued as pre-baiting.

Speak to a CO to clear that all up.
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman View Post
    Corn is legal for bears. Be sure to speak with a CO in regards to doing what you want to do and how to file the permit (if not on your own land).

I say this because you can not set bait for a species before a season opens for the species you want to pursue. Hence, bear opens 9/1, deer opens 9/15. By baiting bear 9/1 then turning it into a deer bait 9/15 could be argued as pre-baiting.

Speak to a CO to clear that all up.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by j563 View Post
    Thank you
    If you're not baiting on your own land then the permit application needs to be in headquarters tomorrow (first Monday in August)