Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear Bait resources?

Default Bear Bait resources?

Thought I would reach out and see if anyone on here had any input or leads on where I could be checking to get some bear bait. I recently had a VERY good source go out on me. Seems the higher ups have put a stop on what I had going. That was at a Dunkins.

I have tried Market Basket but they to have issues with it going to individuals and all of their locations go to someone who picks it up for a pig farm I guess.

Any info or leads would be great.

Thanks

I guess this depends in part on how cheap you want to be. I know that some of the Freihofer's outlet stores sell pallets of specifically "animal consumption only" pastries, though I don't know the price. Were you getting your Dunkins for free?

I'd be curious to know how much you use? I went to 5 gallon buckets with dog food and candy corns, and I've had good luck. At those volumes, buying it doesn't impart much pain.

Not sure if you are on Facebook, but look up Bear Bait Solutions. Henry is a great guy and probably has whatever you need. I actually have a whole barrel of animal crackers and a couple 1 gallon pails of frosting and glaze, and a barrel for the bait in the woods if your interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Igloo View Post
    I guess this depends in part on how cheap you want to be. I know that some of the Freihofer's outlet stores sell pallets of specifically "animal consumption only" pastries, though I don't know the price. Were you getting your Dunkins for free?

I'd be curious to know how much you use? I went to 5 gallon buckets with dog food and candy corns, and I've had good luck. At those volumes, buying it doesn't impart much pain.

You may want to try mixing some black oil sun flower seeds in there. Every bird feeder in NH can attest to bears liking sunflower seeds.
    Leave my rifle, my fishing pole, my traps, and leave me be.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman View Post
    You may want to try mixing some black oil sun flower seeds in there. Every bird feeder in NH can attest to bears liking sunflower seeds.
    Good point. I'm a bit gun-shy (pun intended) about anything that isn't sweet. For two years, I put out one sweet bait and one meaty bait. The meaty bait was located where more bears show up on the trail cam, but only the sweet baits worked.

So for now, it all sweets for my bears.

Quote Originally Posted by benny8 View Post
    Not sure if you are on Facebook, but look up Bear Bait Solutions. Henry is a great guy and probably has whatever you need. I actually have a whole barrel of animal crackers and a couple 1 gallon pails of frosting and glaze, and a barrel for the bait in the woods if your interested.
    Benny, I have reached out to Henry and spoken with him about setting aside some stuff for me. Are you looking to just get rid of the animal crackers and frosting glaze? Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Igloo View Post

Igloo - Thanks for the reply. As I would imagine most would, the cheaper the better. Are there any Freihofer outlets in the concord/Manchester area? I was getting dunkins for free. Just had to check the barrel every day and empty. It was working out very well.
    Depending on the site I could use maybe a half a barrel? If the coons find me then they clean me out in like a couple days. Those guys are my enemies. If it wasn't for the coons it wouldn't take much bait for the season per site. Although if the bears were hammering Id maybe be in trouble. I run 2 sites and my kids have 2 sites.

Looks like I may have to either buy some or start finding other resources.

Quote Originally Posted by nhfisherman View Post
    Benny, I have reached out to Henry and spoken with him about setting aside some stuff for me. Are you looking to just get rid of the animal crackers and frosting glaze? Let me know.
    nhfisherman-yes I am looking to move them on.

Quote Originally Posted by nhfisherman View Post
    Igloo - Thanks for the reply. As I would imagine most would, the cheaper the better. Are there any Freihofer outlets in the concord/Manchester area? I was getting dunkins for free. Just had to check the barrel every day and empty. It was working out very well.
    Depending on the site I could use maybe a half a barrel? If the coons find me then they clean me out in like a couple days. Those guys are my enemies. If it wasn't for the coons it wouldn't take much bait for the season per site. Although if the bears were hammering Id maybe be in trouble. I run 2 sites and my kids have 2 sites.

Looks like I may have to either buy some or start finding other resources.
    There is a Freihofer outlet in Hooksett. That's about as close as I can think of. The one that had the pallets of food was in Lebanon, so I'm not 100% sure that Hooksett does the same thing. But hey, its not a wasted trip, as Hooksett has FOUR gun stores.