Thread: Cooler Size for Deer?

Default Cooler Size for Deer?

So I am hoping to score a deer on my upcoming Indiana trip and looking for cooler for transport back to MA. I don't think Indiana is a CWD state, so I am hoping I can bring back some bone-in cuts, etc. Cabelas has a 120 qt Igloo on sale this week, but that may be too big. Any recommendations from the folks that do some meat transport?

If you have space for it, is there such thing as a cooler that too big? You could probably fit the meat from 3 deer in a 120 quart cooler. You could get a 70 quart cooler and got one plus room for ice. When we went to Iowa, the deer processors had the meat frozen solid and it didn’t thaw a bit on the trip back.
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

Usually buy my coolers at Walmart good prices.
    Last edited by longbow; 06-29-2018 at 11:05 AM.

I have a couple 120 quart coolers and I find them to be difficult to handle when filled. The size is good to have if you need to bring back a head and cape for taxidermy though. A couple smaller coolers would be a good option if it's just meat you are concerned about.

Meat yield aproximately 50% of dressed weight of the deer to give you an idea on how much you may be bringing home. This site has a chart that looks to be pretty accurate from my expierence.

http://www.alfredny.biz/sportsmen/Wh...ield-chart.htm

120 quart cooler fills fast, especially with bone in meat. At the very least, you'll have space for the ice blocks somewhere.

Related but unrelated
    I keep our cranberry juice jugs. The ones with the handles from Costco. Fill with water and freeze them and stick them in the cooler as block ice. Lasts a long time like your whole trip. Refill refreeze after the trip ready for next trip.

Good point on using jugs of ice. When the ice melts in the jug the water stays in the jug. A lot less messy. For the cooler issue, what we do when we go to PA for our trips, we bring these thick clear plastic bags. When we get a deer we quarter it up. Loins go into 1 bag, then each quarter goes into its own bag. Each bag then goes into the cooler which has jugs of ice. 120qt easily fits a deer. 2 possibly.

Was at BP in Foxbourough Saturday and saw the 120 on sale for 39.00 or 49.00 I think. It should do the trick.