Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mt. Washington Cog Railway

[QUOTE=Pine-lock;613264]
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul/NH View Post
    We might have watched you go up or down. My wife and I hiked Mt Jefferson Sunday via the trail that parallels the railway North of it. From about 9am to 1pm, the hours we were above treeline, we could see the summit of Washington and almost the

I have plans to hike Jefferson Adams and maybe include Madison in a couple weeks. I can only hope to get weather as nice as you did.
    My wife and I backpacked the Presidentials and did overnights at Madison Springs Hut and Lake of the Clouds Hut. You have to book waaayyy in advance, and an AMC membership gets you a better rate. Totally worth it though. Day one of our trip was up Madison to the Hut and it poured buckets the whole way, and was very windy as we closed in on the Hut. A nice hot bowl of soup at the Hut sure felt nice! It was the same on the second leg from Madison to Lake of the Clouds. The entire day was miserable hypothermia weather, especially in the big wind up in Washington. Getting into the Hut and warming up felt amazing!
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

[QUOTE=Escout711;613267]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine-lock View Post

I have plans to hike Jefferson Adams and maybe include Madison in a couple weeks. I can only hope to get weather as nice as you did.

My wife and I backpacked the Presidentials and did overnights at Madison Springs Hut and Lake of the Clouds Hut. You have to book waaayyy in advance, and an AMC membership gets you a better rate. Totally worth it though. Day one of our trip was up Madison to the Hut and it poured buckets the whole way, and was very windy as we closed in on the Hut. A nice hot bowl of soup at the Hut sure felt nice! It was the same on the second leg from Madison to Lake of the Clouds. The entire day was miserable hypothermia weather, especially in the big wind up in Washington. Getting into the Hut and warming up felt amazing!
    We pick our days pretty carefully. With everything else I have going on I never feel compelled to "force" a hike in when the weather doesn't want to cooperate. Especially on the Presidentials I have no desire to push it. I hope to do Adams & Madison very soon, and Lincoln & Lafayette as well, but right now the focus is on picking a good day for the apprx 20mi hike to the three Bonds and out to complete my wife's 48 4ks. She will have done it in just under 2 years. Im probably on about the same pace. Its great stuff, but for me it takes a back seat to various hunting and fishing activities. Camp trip this weekend for some chores, and next weekend is a Buzzards Bay sea bass trip.

The Bonds look more fun as an overnight. It’s a real long day otherwise. I’ve been looking at it as a backpacking trip. Not sure if it’ll get done this summer or not as there are other hikes also in contention.