Thread: Silent Toms

Default Silent Toms

We've all had the silent tom come in before - but I've had 3 already this year, with almost 2 weeks left. Anyone with better understanding of turkey behavior than I do care to shed a little light on this? My guess is pressure, but I have no data to back that up.

I got busted this morning by one. He answered my call from about 200yrds across a field, so I called again and then shut up. Later, the same pattern, same location. It was silent for 30 minutes, and I was running out of time if I was going to have a chance at him before work, so I decided I'd move a little bit, just to give the impression the hen was walking away from him. I stood up, and peeked over the next ledge, and he was standing about 60yrds away, staring in my direction.

I always assume it’s pressure from hunters, and pressure from other toms. You’ll see groups of jakes beating up on toms now, and they probably are trying to get in on the hen without attracting other toms and jakes to the scene.
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

A tom will go silent and circle sometimes, to catch you over guard. Patience is key. If he answered you, just sit tight. Sometimes we don't the big show, strutting/gobbling/etc.
    There comes a time in the life of every program when it is necessary to shoot the engineers.

Quote Originally Posted by NH-Archer View Post
    A tom will go silent and circle sometimes, to catch you over guard. Patience is key. If he answered you, just sit tight. Sometimes we don't the big show, strutting/gobbling/etc.
    I learned that lesson the hard way last year...it won't be leaving my memory banks any time too soon.

Oh they will come in silent and not from where you thought....be still,,,be very still my friend. Use your ears to locate him....drumming, spitting and walking. Sneaky turkey! With all the bob cats now roaming the woods it could be that the birds are more silent.

Roger-