Thread: North Maine Woods Roads

Default North Maine Woods Roads

I received this information from a friend concerning road conditions in the North Maine Woods. I didn't look but suspect that it is also on their website.

Current road conditions for traveling are very poor and recreational travel at this time is not advised. Many of the main and secondary roads have washouts and some flooding. Checkpoints are not scheduled to open until May 9th at the very earliest. Below is a list of reported road hazards:
    - Flooding at Mile 5 on the Rocky Brook Road. Passage is not recommended at this time.
    - Washout at Mile 15 on the Michaud Farm Road in Allagash. Road is not passable.
    - Washout at Mile 9 on the Connector Rd (T8R11). Road is impassable.
    - Washout at Mile 25 on the Thibodeau Rd (T12R15). Road is not passable.
    - Washout at Mile 23 on Cyr Rd (T9R13). Road passable with caution.
    - Washout at mouth of Hafey Rd near Little Black Ckpt. Road is not passable.
    - Washout at Lapomkeag Stream Bridge on the Oxbow Road. Road is not passable.
    - Washout at Mile 36 on the Caucomgomoc Rd. Road is not passable.
    - Washout at Mile 8 on the Jack Mtn. Road. Road is not passable.
    - Flooding at Umsaskis Bridge on the Realty Road. Road is not passable at this time.
    - Washout reported on the Sias Hill Road. Road is not passable.
    - Flooding across Grand Marche Rd at Allagash Stream. Passage not recommended.
    - Washout on the Greenville Rd a mile before the Golden Rd intersection. Road not passable.
    - Flooding at Lobster Stream on the Lobster Trip Rd. Road is not passable.
    E
    I've already told you more than I know.

What is causing all the flooding? Snow melt, rain, damn releases? Was there a lot more snow than usual this year? Or is this just a yearly occurrence?

We were 30 to 40 inches of snow above average and I was told, but have no way of confirming, that the moisture content of that snow was well above normal. Top it off with a quick melt and we have issues.

Flooding is no joke. I hope you are high and dry.

It seems to be going the other way now. By the looks of the ice yesterday, I think we may be able to fish this coming weekend. Long is as high as I have ever seen it with the launches flooded as well as a good number of homes/camps. Still a decent bit of snow in the woods but for the most part, it is gone in open areas.