Thread: Surf Fishing Today

Default Surf Fishing Today

Took a ride to the Jersey shore today, about an hour and 40 minute drive from my house. Caught 8 small stripers, one 20" fluke, skates and sea robins, and one 8lb drum. Was targeting bigger bass, but as far as we could tell they were not around today, although we did have one real heavy hit. Fish caught on bunker and clams. Will be eating the drum fillets tomorrow. Nice to get down to the beach for the first time this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Had the drum for dinner tonight. Boy was that good! Glad we kept it.
    Last edited by longbow; 05-07-2018 at 06:09 PM.

I'm about an hour from ocean. Must have been nice to get back to it. Never had drum, similar to stripper in taste?

Quote Originally Posted by tobydog View Post
    I'm about an hour from ocean. Must have been nice to get back to it. Never had drum, similar to stripper in taste?
    Looks a lot like striper fillets, but it does not flake like striper, very dense and firm and very good. They get up to 80 lbs, but like most fish they say the smaller ones are better eating.

Nice. About the only thing that you will get in the ocean up here now is frost bite. Stripers aren't too far away though.
    I love it when a plan comes together!

Fresh water drum are not very good tasting. Love the sweatshirt! Nice to be retired and spend the spring on the Shore>-----'>.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Took a ride to the Jersey shore today, about an hour and 40 minute drive from my house. Caught 8 small stripers, one 20" fluke, skates and sea robins, and one 8lb drum. Was targeting bigger bass, but as far as we could tell they were not around today, although we did have one real heavy hit. Fish caught on bunker and clams. Will be eating the drum fillets tomorrow. Nice to get down to the beach for the first time this year.
    That is a real nice Croaker right there! Congrats!

Nice fish.
    I've already told you more than I know.

Does NJ have a size requirement on Stripers? From what I remember NY Long Island Sound Stripers had to be around 33", give or take, to keep. Last, and only sizeable striper, I caught measured 31" so I released it.

28"