Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Opening up the camps!

About 4 years ago, my friend bought a pair of camps north of a Jackman. Some of you may know them at the site of the old customs, then later as sporting camps. My friend planned on making a snowmobile compound for his family, but his interests changed and over a drink at a bar and a hand shake he agreed to finish the interior of one of the camps that was a shell and rent it to me for the year. For the last 3 years I?ve called the place my headquarters and driven up every weekend from the start of bird season to when the snow melts. It?s the closest I have come to having my own camp. I had intentions of buying the camps but for a variety of reasons it?s not happening, so back to being a nomad and looking for a small camp in Jackman to purchase and a place to hang my hat this fall if even just a couple weeks. Worst case we will do a wall tent this year. It was a really cool place and location. 1E06C80A-C19E-448F-A6F6-EEBA6C5285B8.jpg6D0188D1-CEA9-4CDA-ACD8-E64AB60D32D2.jpeg33EE9BA2-0E8F-4315-8AA4-B558A2C32421.jpeg

Nice pictures Kingman. My introduction to Northwoods camps was similar to yours. I frequently hunted with one of my college buddys at his uncles camp while we were in school. It’s a rustic setup with woodstove, gas lights, gas oven, and spring fed water. Not sure what it is, but there is certainly an allure to having limited amenities, maybe its from regularly thumbing through Peter Miller’s “Deer Camp” book. I believe this will be my 20th year as their guest. That’s where my desire to have a camp of my own was born. I had hunted northern NH with my uncles since I was in high school so thats where I focused my search. I lucked out and found a very cheap 1/3 of an acre to build on. Alot of sweat equity and reclaimed materials helped make it all come together. My kids are always excited to go to camp, not to mention ‘ol dad!

Nice pics kc. I like the looks of the older camp except for the Yankees on the door. Probably a lot of history there. Too bad about the new place. I'll have to get a few pics up soon.
    I love it when a plan comes together!

There is nothing like camp life. When I was a kid my Grand Father had a camp in East Charleston, VT. I loved going up there as a kid. That is where it all started for me. I was crushed when he sold it 15 years ago.

Luckily, my wife's family has a deer camp. They have taken me in like one of there own.

If all goes to plan, I will have a camp someday in Northern NH or Maine.
    Born to hunt, forced to work.

Slightly different story on my end and sorry this is not Maine. I grew up in Maine, relocated to Boston to get a job out of college, relocated to the big apple 16 years later for my job and have been here for 10 years. I have always told my wife that I wanted a camp back up in ME or NH. I saved for years, always intending to move back to Boston, where the trip to ME is "doable". I still get up there a few times a year including one week a year deer hunting. But about 2 years ago we realized we were going to be here in NJ for a good bit longer. We decided to get a second home but needed it to be close enough so we would use it. A lot of the reasons to get a camp were as you all mentioned. We wanted a place for us to get away with the kids, away from the hustle, and spending some time hiking, waterskiing, fishing and hunting, playing cards rather than electronics... We looked out in the poconos a little, and up in the catskills a bit, but ended up finding a lake in NJ that we like and we can get there anytime we wish. The third pic is my favorite as I always enjoyed jumping off rocks, cliffs or using the rope swings. I would say that owning a second home is far more costly and time consuming to maintain than I ever thought possible.
    open camp 4.jpgopen camp 5.jpgopen camp 7.jpg

A few more photos to share; the view, the boys helping replace the dock (did I mention the amount of maintenance) and of course my largest Maine buck has a spot on the wall.open camp 3.jpgopen camp 8.jpgopen camp 9.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gwlambo View Post
    I would say that owning a second home is far more costly and time consuming to maintain than I ever thought possible.
    open camp 4.jpg
    Thats not a second home. Thats A Mansion Lake House ! What a beautiful place. Good For You !

That's a bit of an upgrade from my November digs Gw.

Here is our dream cabin that my wife and I built in 2013. It is way more than we ever dreamed of. Started out as a cabin then it developed into more than we planned-we went all out. Like my wife said "this is roughing it". Pretty funny. Maybe we should call it Rough-n-It. So far one 187# 8 point buck and a bunch of black bears shot by the family and friends from 150#'s to just under 300#'s. I guess I need a game pole now. Anyway you look at it we are blessed.

Roger-
    IMG_4162.jpg
    IMG_4784.jpg
    IMG_4785.jpg

Gw, are you guys big Iowa State fans down there?