Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New England Camping

Default New England Camping

Just picking you guys brains...... My family and I got into camping last year. We just have a tent, no camper YET. I was hoping those who camp would list some of their favorite camp sites you've stayed at. Vermont, NH, and reasonable distance into Maine. Most of our trips are long weekends. We'll leave on a Thursday, return home Sunday. My kids are 14 and 10. We bring kayaks and fishing rods with us of course, and that will go a little ways to keep them entertained. Their favorite campground of last season was Moosehillock in Warren. For those of you that have never been there, it has a pool with a small water park, playground, private stocked fishing pond, arcade, and they have daily games like dodgeball for instance.

My favorite campground of last season was Russell Pond. Fairly quiet, stocked trout pond with excellent fishing. Our worst stay was the KOA in the exit 31 area. I could hear the highway all night, and our site was not even close to level. That sucked!!! Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks

I know you said not too far into Maine but Cobscook Bay State Park is stellar. It is a ways from you.

You will also laugh but back in our camping days, we liked Bar Harbor Campground. First come first served but we never had a problem as long as we didn't go on a holiday or during the Little League tourney down there. Quiet hours were strickly enforced, super clean shower and restrooms, many sites in the woods, a nice pool, and walking distance to some of the tourist crap. As crowded as Bar Harbor is, there are a lot of places that are off the beaten path.
    Last edited by JDK; 03-13-2018 at 06:21 AM.
    I've already told you more than I know.

Cobscook is worth the trip at least once, I’ve been there a few times. It’s been a long time but we used to dig clams, fish and crab off the pier in Eastport. We’d always catch a few flounder, sometimes mackerel off the end of the pier. I have no idea if you can still do that stuff there or not, but it was fun back when we were going.

My favorite VT state park is Burton Island, but I’ve been to a bunch of them and never had a bad experience at any of them. My kids favorite was Ricker Pond.

Maidstone state campground is real nice in vt and I love most of the sites in the whites, especially along the Kanc. At our age and with kids, the ones with “quiet” times are great!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainewoods View Post
    Maidstone state campground is real nice in vt and I love most of the sites in the whites, especially along the Kanc. At our age and with kids, the ones with “quiet” times are great!
    I agree with your entire reply.

My brother stays in Franstead in Franconia and likes it. Brook that runs through it with wooded tent area some fishing plenty to do. Most of all regulated quiet hours. We went with the kids last year it was fun.

I have driven by Franstead and that would be my choice. Looks to be well taken care of and it seems to be out of the heavy traffic areas. Nice location and plenty to do locally.

Roger-

You can call me biased, but the VT State Park Campgrounds are fantastic. They really do a great job with them. If you want specific favorites, I'll list a couple:

1. Woodford State Park - high elevation park (2200ft) Decent trout fishing at the park, but your in the heart of great brook fishing in any direction. Very quiet, and if its a hot summer weekend, this place is always much cooler.
    2. Maidstone State Park - sounds like you're familiar with this one
    3. Groton State park - good fishing all around you, some nice "kids" style hiking trails.
    4. Emerald Lake State park - no trout, but fun perch and pike fishing. My kids mostly like it because there's an island in the middle that they can easily swim to with a rope swing on the back side.

These are all quiet, no road noise nearby and easy access to drinking water and bathrooms.

I have a ton more - we've hit plenty of them. I also have some spots that are awesome, if you haul your own water in and want more "remote" experience, but you can drive to. National Forest spots basically. If you're interested in those, PM me and I'll shoot some details over to you.

Nickerson State Park in Brewster, MA is FANTASTIC. Once you enter the gate you won't know in your in MA. However, being on Cape Cod the place is a shit show (typically at capacity from Late June through Labor Day) in the summer. I've camped with my son there during April vacation and we had the place to ourselves. There are several ponds in the camp ground with excellent fishing (Big Cliff Pond is great). If your looking for some good camping and fishing during the kids April vacation it is a great place to go. It's also only a short drive from the Cape Cod National Seashore which is definitely worth a visit if you never been. I know you said VT, NH, or ME, but I figure it is only a couple hours away.